Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup exec 2012 Archiving and deduplication

Created: 04 Jul 2013 • Updated: 04 Jul 2013 | 4 comments
Moez Mansouri's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi ,

please i want to know Best Practices to put together Deduplication and Archiving Option in one media server ?
can i do a backup job to a deduplication folder then add an archive stage without having a problem?
restored data from archive are deduped data ?

Thanks

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

can i do a backup job to a deduplication folder then add an archive stage without having a problem?

Yes

restored data from archive are deduped data ?

No. Dedup and your archive are totally separate things.

SOLUTION
Moez Mansouri's picture

hi pkh;
and what if my archive job deletes files and when my backup job will fail if the selection list change ?
tahnks

teiva-boy's picture

The process is that archives are taken out of the backup set FIRST, then deleted from the source. Selection lists are not affected when archiving jobs are run.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

Moez Mansouri's picture

i don't understand you fully ,can you please clearfy

Archive stage is add to my backup set (a file server) and have the same selection list (let's say a shared file ) what i have to do ??