Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Backup Exec Device & Media Service stop working and won't start

Created: 03 Dec 2012 • Updated: 21 Jan 2013 | 10 comments
jjorgis's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec reports No available Media or device.  When I try to restart services, Device & Media Service won't start, logon failure, I have done this: Created a new account in Windows and added it in Backup Exec, works just fine for a day or two, and then the same problem. Gone back to Administrator account, after a day or two it happens again. I can restart the Device & Media service in Windows, just retype the password, and it works fine again. Backup Exec is updated and installed on an updated Windows 2008R2, Backup Exec is trial for the moment. 

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

Please check few link below and setup it accordingly

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5295

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH82969

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161715

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

jjorgis's picture

Thank you! But I have tried all that several times. Password are not changed, and I found that the problem is only the Media and Device service, just retype the password and it works fine again for a couple of days.

One of my collega told me that he have the same problem with another installastion.

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

It could the case that existing password as per domain policy is getting expired and due to which you have to update the password and it works fine for next  few days again

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

jjorgis's picture

Hi!

How could that be the case when it is an Administrator account with settings password never expires?

I still struggle with this problem, It look like it is when BE are running long jobs.

backuphound_2's picture

Have you installed the latest service packs and updates via Live Update?

Assign this account to another windows service like BITS, does it fail with the same issue. If yes then its OS, if not then its application.

jjorgis's picture

Hi!

Thanks for replying.

Yes I've tryed with another account, same result. I've installed latest update.

I have other BE services running under the same account, running just fine, it's only Device & Media Service that won't start unless I rewrite the password, so I am a bit frustrated.

Nabil polska's picture

is this happened after an upgrade or service pack install ?

some errors in event viewer " application" ?

Nabil polska's picture

if there is a library or tape drive connected please disconnect it and try to restart the service, check in Adamm.log in backup exec directory if there is some errors occured there

pkh's picture

If you forget something, edit your earlier post and add it in.  Do not post multiple times.

jjorgis's picture

I have found the solution. I have tryed two different account with administrative rights, but the main administrator did put these two account under a policy that removed rights to logon as a service. Now it is changed an everyting is working just fine. Thank's 

SOLUTION