Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2012 CASO - Catalog Location grayed out

Created: 31 Jul 2013 • Updated: 22 Dec 2013 | 13 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

i have some Problems with the CASO Catalog Settings.

Environment:
I have one virtual VMware Server called "becas" who is the central Administration Server. Additionally i have two physical MMS ("be01" and "be02") attached to a virtual and physical Library attached per Fibre Channel. Both MMS can see an access the Libraries.

While the Installation of the MMS i choose the Option to save all Storage and Media Data on the central Administration Server. (Described on Page 1000 in BEAdmin_en.pdf Guide)

Problem:
Now i want to change the Catalog Location from "Centralized" to "Replicated" but the Option for "Keep the catalogs on" is grayed out and cannot be changed on both MMS

Any Ideas?
Many thanks!

Best regards

Marco

Operating Systems:

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Have you removed the MMS from the CASO and then added it back again with the setting you want selected?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

sidd3009's picture

Do you happen to have the SAN Storage Option (SSO) option installed on the MMS?

If yes then please refer to the following link : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57735

Regards,

Siddhant Saini
Advanced Technical Support Engineer, Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

CraigV's picture

The OP understands the concept. He wants to move the catalogs...

Treeeman's picture

Hi,

no. I tried to change the settings while the MMS was Member of the CASO Server.
Do i have to delete the MMS from the CASO an re-add it? If i remember right there is no option while adding the MMS to set the location of my catalog files. Or do i have to add the MMS through beutility.exe?

Thanks.

Regards

Marco

Treeeman's picture

@sidd3009

Thanks for your link.
I did not enter an "Enterprise Server Option" License (which contains the SSO Option) on my MMS Servers, just on my CASO "becas".
But if i understand right, the SSO Option is needed on my MMS Server because they accesses the same libraries? So the SSO Option has bee automaticly activated on my MMS Servers? Does this mean i cannot change the catalog location in my case?

sidd3009's picture

This is what I understand from the situation: the libraries are shared which means that the Shared Storage Option(SSO) is being used. 

Its true that the SSO option is included with the Enterprise Server Option(ESO). As long as you have the ESO applied to CASO, you would not have the ability to change the catalog location(as per the article mentioned in my previous post). 

The grayed out option is thus rightly applied to Backup Exec CASO in your situation. 

Regards,

Siddhant Saini
Advanced Technical Support Engineer, Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

SOLUTION
Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Goto the storage tab

Highlight the MMS

Goto the settings

selct Keep catalog on

Centralized, distributed or replicated

catalog CAS.jpg

Technical Support

Symantec

Treeeman's picture

@Kunal.Mudliyar

Thank you for your reply.
Exactly this Option is grayed out. I cannont change it.

MusSeth's picture

did you try editing this registry and once done reboot the server and than check if mode is changed or not.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup
Exec\Catalogs -> Catalog Mode

DISTRIBUTED = 0
CENTRALIZED = 1
REPLICATED = 2

CraigV's picture

Treeeman: You should be able to change the location of the catalogs...however, there is obviously an issue here. Try removing the MMS from the CASO and re-adding it and see if this works.

I've had corruption between an MMS and CASO on numerous occassions...wouldn't be the first time this happens in a CASO environment.

Thanks!

Treeeman's picture

Hi @ all,

so i'm a litte confused.
Some say it is a normal issue and some say it should be changeable?

So i will try to readd the MMS Server an check, if the Catalog Location could be changed.

Thanks!

Best Regards
Marco

Treeeman's picture

Hi,

i tried to readd the Media Servers to the CASO. Same Issue.
After installing now BE2012 SP3 there still is no way to change this Setting.

So i think this is by Design because i use "SSO" and i backup my "Data" and "Catalogs" Directories daily with Windows Server Backup to another Location.

Thanks to all!

Best Regards
Marco