Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 CPS

Created: 26 Sep 2012 | 5 comments

I know that CPS was not inlcuded in 2012, but I have not seen any documented solutions for replacing its funtionality.  If I upgrade from 2010 to 2012, how can I get continuous, near real-time backups of my servers?  I don't want to revert to the old "full then incremental" system.

Secondary, but sill nice, I would also like to keep the user self-restore capabilities provided by BEretrieve in CPS.

Rich

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Rich, unfortunately there is no replacement for CPS and it has been discontinued.

Richv's picture

Thanks for the confirmation, but I'm really hoping for some more feedback from Symantec.  Why is it gone?  Is there another Symantec product I should be looking at?  I was amazed when I started using it in 2010, it revolutionized large file server backups.  Not only did I not have to worry about length of backup windows any more, but I was a MUCH more thorough backup of what users did during the day, not just one copy at the end of the day.  I thought it was the way of the future, and still do.  I use the same technology at home to backup pc's.  If Symantec can't provide continuous protection anymore, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Rich

pkh's picture

If you need multiple versions of files, periodic backups and the ability for user to restore previous versions of their files, why don't you just activate shadows copy.  It is a disk function from Microsoft.  You can then use BE to backup the shadows copies of the files.

Richv's picture

Thanks, I'll keep this possibility in mind.  I do like the ease of restore for the end users.

pkh's picture

With shadow copies, the user can restore previous versions themselves.