Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2012 Creating a Backup Definition on OST DataDomains

Created: 03 Apr 2013 • Updated: 04 Apr 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I currently have a DataDomain 640 /w and all the licensing enabled (DDbost,NFS,CIFS,..ect) connected to a windows 2008 media server running Backup Exec 2012. All the patches are downloaded for the OS / Backup Exec. I'm sortta new to the backup world, and whats confusing me is understanding how to create a backup definition if the storage location is pointing to a dedupe OST device (DD640). My question is, when creating a backup job that targets an OST device should I edit the Full (Every one week) job so that It just runs now with no recurring schedule? or Leave it defaulting to run Full once every week? I'm thinking if I could just run one full backup with no recurring schedule and then differentials every 1 day it would allow me some extra time for more jobs. Any help would be greatly appericated.

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I presume that you have installed the licence for the dedup option and the DD OST plug-in on the media server.  Also, the DD has been defined as an OST device in BE

If you do not run your full backup on a regular basis, your differential backups may eventually be as big as your full backup.

SOLUTION
jehempel's picture

PKH, thanks for your quick response. You are correct, I have installed the dedupe option, and dd ost plugin on the media server and I have it defined as a device in BE.

I understand what your saying now.

I was just just getting confused on the full backup regarding the option to run now with no recurring schedule.  If I have one good full backup and not alot of data changes occuring then maybe my backup defs could look somthing like;

One Time Full

Daily Differential

Monthly Fulls as needed if the data changes alot.

pkh's picture

That is correct.  If your data changes a lot, you might want to do weekly full backups.