Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Creating a Backup Definition on OST DataDomains

Created: 03 Apr 2013 • Updated: 04 Apr 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I currently have a DataDomain 640 /w and all the licensing enabled (DDbost,NFS,CIFS,..ect) connected to a windows 2008 media server running Backup Exec 2012. All the patches are downloaded for the OS / Backup Exec. I'm sortta new to the backup world, and whats confusing me is understanding how to create a backup definition if the storage location is pointing to a dedupe OST device (DD640). My question is, when creating a backup job that targets an OST device should I edit the Full (Every one week) job so that It just runs now with no recurring schedule? or Leave it defaulting to run Full once every week? I'm thinking if I could just run one full backup with no recurring schedule and then differentials every 1 day it would allow me some extra time for more jobs. Any help would be greatly appericated.

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I presume that you have installed the licence for the dedup option and the DD OST plug-in on the media server.  Also, the DD has been defined as an OST device in BE

If you do not run your full backup on a regular basis, your differential backups may eventually be as big as your full backup.

SOLUTION
jehempel's picture

PKH, thanks for your quick response. You are correct, I have installed the dedupe option, and dd ost plugin on the media server and I have it defined as a device in BE.

I understand what your saying now.

I was just just getting confused on the full backup regarding the option to run now with no recurring schedule.  If I have one good full backup and not alot of data changes occuring then maybe my backup defs could look somthing like;

One Time Full

Daily Differential

Monthly Fulls as needed if the data changes alot.

pkh's picture

That is correct.  If your data changes a lot, you might want to do weekly full backups.