Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Creating Backup To Disk from Another domain

Created: 21 Aug 2012 • Updated: 22 Aug 2012 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

One of my customer has 2 different domains. 

The Backup Exec 2012 is installed on a server in domain A. 
I want to create a Backup To Disk-folder in BE 2012 that comes from a server in domain B. 
That seems it's not possible? Or am I doing something wrong? 

I shared the map in Domain B with the sharing and security right (Everyone full control). 
The server where BE2012 is installed can contact the shared map on domain B and can open it with Windows Explorer. But BE 2012 gives always an error: 

"Unable to create the diskstorage. The Backup Exec service account does not have read and write permission on the remote on which the network share is located. The Backup Exec service account that requires these permission is on the backup Exec that you want to access the networkshare. 

You must give read and write permissions to the Backup Exec service Account, and then try again."

But the rights is: Everyone got full right and no one else is on the permission- and securitylist. 

So I don't know what to do.

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

you will need a domin trust and to setup approriate persmissions  as the servcie account used by the Backup Exec services MUST have the ability to access the UNC path to the share for the B2D and the service accounts will be a domain account in Domain A

Somewhat unusual request

Oh and don;t expect to access over a drive may it must be a unx path (\\server\share) that yiu configure the B2D for.

SOLUTION
Nick Vandenbroucke's picture

Thanks for the reply. 

But do you have any tutorial to make a domain trust and set up  approriate permissions as the service account? 

Thank you very much.

Colin Weaver's picture

As it is an unusual request no we do not have any specific documentation on this configuration. Also we won't have tested what you are trying to do

You should refer to Microsoft documentation on how to configure trusts and how to make sure that an account in one domain has full permission to both the share and the file system where the share is located across a domain trust and apply this to whatever account the Backup Exec services use.

Nick Vandenbroucke's picture

Okay I got this figured and tested => it works! 

Thank you very much!