Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Credential Status Test Failed

Created: 03 Oct 2012 | 8 comments

Hi,

I'm implementing BE 2012 on my site and I have a problem with one server of them.

I've installed Backup Exec 2012 on a physical server and I'm configuring the application to make a backup of the VMs through BE agents. (Hyper-V farm).

I've installed the agents on all servers with no issue. I've configured all my backup-to-tapes job successfully except for one.

The problem occurs on a users/common files server (Windows 2008 x64 Standard EN). The server has been added as a standard server not as a  File Server. So when I'm configuring the job and I run the Test/Edit Credentials I've got a Test failed message. I restarted the VM and the physical server unsuccessfully. I've uninstalled the BE agent from the VM and I've restarted the physical machine and the VM again. I re-installed the BE agent but I still have a Test failed error message.

So I've added the same server as File Server and I ran a Test Credential which is in failure again. But now I can affirm the credential test works with some folders and does not work with others folders. So I've checked the access right and it's the same configuration everywhere for each shared folders. The Backup Exec is running through a "Service Account" (That means the password never expires). This account is a member of the local administrator account which has a full access everywhere on the server. (Drives, Folders, files)

I've tried to use the debug program through Backup Exec. So when the server has been added as a standard microsoft server I've got both messages below: Credential test is ok:\\ServerName\UserAAA$, DisplayName:\\ServerName\UserAAA$, ResourceType:Ntfs,1, OSID:NtfsId,14, VMNetworkName:, VMState:0, ResourceSubtype:Sql2Database, uint:2.

Credential test is in failure: Consider to continue testing, ParentResourceName:\\ServerName, ResourceName:\\ServerName\UserDDD$ DisplayName:\\ServerName\UserDDD$, Flags:IsContainer, IsDevice, UsernameOptional, PasswordOptional, Selectable, W2kNtfsVolume, RedirectedRestore, DSSSResourceType:Ntfs DSSSResourceSubType:Sql2Database, uint:2
Resource was a lanman or admin share but resourceContainer was NOT a FILESERVER. Since we will not insert new rows for these no sense testing validation. Takes time.

How can I fix this problem ? My Backup Exec is updated but do I need to install a specific update ? I think I've tried everything I could. So I need your help or let me know if you have any ideas please.

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

Hi

When you run a job on that server what error do you get?

Benoit B.'s picture

Hi,

I didn't try but I've just start a job to make a test.

On this server there are 180 shared folders.. It seems I can save 100 shared folders only.. When I remove one shared folder which the credential test was ok then I can select a new one which the credential wasn't working...

lmosla's picture

does the credential check still fail?

mdwdrw's picture

I came across this thread. I too am having a problem testing credentials on my "fileserver" which to confuse things is a file server. SG Mon shows it accessed 100 shares, but after that seems to bomb out. Here are the steps leading up to the failure.

MANAGEME: [10/23/12 12:27:34] [0032]     10/23 12:27:34.497[Job         ] Top Level: \\fileserver.bocafed.org\ErrynA, DisplayName:\\fileserver.bocafed.org\ErrynA, ResourceType:Ntfs,1, OSID:NtfsId,14, VMNetworkName:, VMState:0, ResourceSubtype:Sql2Database, uint:2.

MANAGEME: [10/23/12 12:27:34] [0032]     10/23 12:27:34.497[Job         ] Top Level: \\fileserver.bocafed.org\Tempccrc, DisplayName:\\fileserver.bocafed.org\Tempccrc, ResourceType:Ntfs,1, OSID:NtfsId,14, VMNetworkName:, VMState:0, ResourceSubtype:Sql2Database, uint:2.

MANAGEME: [10/23/12 12:27:34] [0032]     10/23 12:27:34.497[Job         ] Consider to continue testing, ParentResourceName:\\fileserver.bocafed.org, ResourceName:\\fileserver.bocafed.org\paulb DisplayName:\\fileserver.bocafed.org\paulb, Flags:IsContainer, IsDevice, UsernameOptional, PasswordOptional, Selectable, W2kNtfsVolume, RedirectedRestore, DSSSResourceType:Ntfs DSSSResourceSubType:Sql2Database, uint:2

MANAGEME: [10/23/12 12:27:34] [0032]     10/23 12:27:34.497[Job         ] Resource was a lanman or admin share but resourceContainer was NOT a FILESERVER. Since we will not insert new rows for these no sense testing validation. Takes time.

Just like the above poster, the job is created as a windows server, not a fileserver. All other jobs credentials connect successfully. I have not run the job to see if it fails. I am able to create the job and select the two directories. I am also able to access the shares from the BE server. I am using the same domain admin account for all backups. Any insight would be appreciated. Seems there is a limitation to BE 2012? I have applied SP1a and the two recent patches. Thank you.

Jaydeep S's picture

There is no such limitation that i know off. It would be better if you could open a support case and have this investigated.

sbora's picture

Hello,

This is a known issue and currently under investigation by our engineeirng team. You can subscribe to following technote for email notification for update on this issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198303

Please note that this issue will not have any impact on the actual backup job.

Thanks,

mdwdrw's picture

sbora, I came across that article yesterday after posting. I also did open a support case referencing that tech bulletin. I am suprised how many bugs I have come across with BE 2012. Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to reply. mark