Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 with Dell TL2000 and Cisco MDS 9148

Created: 21 Feb 2013 • Updated: 22 Feb 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I plan to purchase a Dell TL2000 which will be connected to a Cisco MDS 9148.

After checking the MDS 9148 it is not listed under HCL.

Will backup exec support my Cisco MDS 9148 connected to a TL2000?

My environment has only a single backup exec 2012 server do I also need to purchase a san shared storage option (SSO)?

---> As I understand SSO is only used when you want to share a SAN base Tape Library between multiple backup exec servers.

Thanks,

Paul

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

If the OS recognises the tape library, then you can use it.

You are correct in that you only need a SSO licence if you plan to share the tape library with other miedia servers.

SOLUTION
Kiran Bandi's picture

It is not listed in HCL means it was not tested by Symantec in their labs. I remember configuring tape libraries with BE through various MDS switches other than the listed one for some of our customers upon their acceptance after pointing out the compatibility concern. Incase of any issue, getting support from Symantec might be an issue. Take a call after considering that, as HCL is saying "All devices in your SAN must in supported devices list." 

My environment has only a single backup exec 2012 server do I also need to purchase a san shared storage option (SSO)?

Not required. 

As I understand SSO is only used when you want to share a SAN base Tape Library between multiple backup exec servers.

That's correct..

EDIT: a bit late here....

Larry Fine's picture

With only a single BE server, why are you using FC?  I think SAS would be more economical for you?

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.