Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 disable client side deduplication

Created: 07 May 2013 • Updated: 07 May 2013 | 8 comments
GRB's picture

I am running Backup Exec 2012 to a dedupe folder.  The job completes with exception with the message "Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used. Please check this link for additional information: "

The only place I can see to disable client side dedupliation is on the deduplication device under the Storage tab.  I have done this.  Client-side deduplication is set to Disabled on the Properties tab of that dedupliation disk yet I still get that message on several jobs.

I have also tried to enable it and disable it.  Same results.

How can I get rid of this message?

Thank you.

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Check the TN below to see if this helps you at all:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

VJware's picture

Verbatim from TECH77683

In BE 2012, by default the Deduplication storage is set for Client-side, some time even after it is disabled on the device, the job will still try client-side Deduplication resulting in giving exception in the job log. To resolve this, first set the job to use server-side and then disable the client-side option on the Deduplication storage under Devices.

GRB's picture

I have checked the issues in the TN article.  Most do not apply to BE 2012.  And as I stated in my originial post, I have tried to enable and disable client side deduplication but still get the same message.

VJware's picture

Have you tried what was suggested in my earlier comment ?

If yes, have you tried recreating the backup job ?

GRB's picture

If you are referring to setting the job to enable client-side dedupe, yes.  I believe I mentioned that in my original post and again in my last post - "I have tried to enable and disable client side deduplication but still get the same message.".

I have recreated at least one of the jobs. 

mmattmann's picture

Hi

Are there any entries in "Servers that share this device" dropdwon in the dudup folders properties?

If not, client side deduplication will not work.

GRB's picture

I don't see that as an option in BE2012.  Where do I find that option?

mmattmann's picture

You find it in the dedup Folders properties.
On the right side in the top.