Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Exchange GRT Restore Fails

Created: 20 Nov 2012 | 18 comments

I'm trying to restore individual emails from my Exchange 2010 backups using Backup Exec 2012.  The process used to work fine but now I get an error stating:

The job failed with the following error: Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted, or because the recovery storage group or recovery database is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager or Exchange Management Console to check the configuration of the recovery storage group or recovery database and the mount status of the databases.

I never needed to dismount databases before for a GRT restore.  I get the same error message when trying to restore to a PST as well and also from tape.

Comments 18 CommentsJump to latest comment

RahulG's picture

Do you have a recovery storage group created on the exchange server ?

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64607

GoodwillSEW's picture

I don't currently have a recovery storage database on Exchange 2010.  Is one still needed for restoring individual emails to a mailbox that's currently mounted?

RahulG's picture

No you dont need one to perform a GRt restore .

GoodwillSEW's picture

How come I keep getting the error below when trying to do a GRT individual email restore?

The job failed with the following error: Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted, or because the recovery storage group or recovery database is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager or Exchange Management Console to check the configuration of the recovery storage group or recovery database and the mount status of the databases

GoodwillSEW's picture

I now created a Recovery Database and the same problem happens.

RahulG's picture

You dont need to create a recoverry storage group. Does the backupexec service account have its mailbox on the exchange 2010 server and the mailbox should not be hidden . Check the BESa permissions as per the technote referred. make sure BESA and system account is the same .

GoodwillSEW's picture

Unfortunately I'm still struggling with this problem. The backup exec service account has it's mailbox on the Exchange server and it's not hidden. Permissions should be fine as this process used to work just fine but it seems after upgrading to Exchange 2010 SP2 I'm getting this error now. Does it matter if I'm restoring from an incremental backup?

lmosla's picture

Is the Backup Exec logon account is a member of the "Organization Management" Role Group? the document below shows how to verify this
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Make sure that the Backup Exec logon account being used to access the Exchange server is part of the Local Administrators group on the Exchange 2010 server.

If the backup you are trying to restore from is on tape, run a duplicate to disk job from the tape and run the restore from the disk afterwards

GoodwillSEW's picture

The account is a member of that group and it's also a member of the local admin group on all exchange servers.  We are trying to restore from a Datadomain disk appliance so the duplicate to disk job isn't necessary.

GoodwillSEW's picture

It turns out if I duplicate the job on the data domain to a regular disk share I'm able to perform GRT restores.  I thought Data domain was supposed to support GRT restores for Exchange.  Am I wrong?

lmosla's picture

When the restore is from tape then it stages the whole mailbox database on local drive (default C: temp) of media server and then from here extracts the mailbox or email ,so if no space for staging then creating another location might work or just creating a duplicate to disk works. 

see this link for more information on this http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187371

GoodwillSEW's picture

This restore is not from tape though, it's from a deduplication disk storage (data domain) and I thought you were able to do GRT directly from it without having to rehydrate the data first.

lmosla's picture

Gotcha,

This was an issue that was resolved with hotfixes available in Live Update

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH199866

and

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH201596&cache=refresh

are all of your live updates installed and RAWs pushed out to the remote servers?

GoodwillSEW's picture

Thanks, I'll try the hotfixes and will let you know if it corrects my problem.  Also, what would the process be for restoring an incremental Exchange backup from disk?  I duplicated the incremental backup job to disk and if I try to restore it gives me the error, "Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier".

Should I install these hotfixes and try again?

lmosla's picture

yes, the hotfixes are for Device and Driver issues and so are definitely relevant.

GoodwillSEW's picture

Well I installed the latest hotfixes and I still have the same problem. 

I still get the error: The job failed with the following error: Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted, or because the recovery storage group or recovery database is not properly configured.

I'm still unable to restore from our Data Domain appliance using Exchange GRT unless I first duplicate the job to a local disk on the server. 

lmosla's picture

Yes, you should be able to restore directly from your Data Domain. Even though you are not restoring from tape with Dedupe the database still needs to be staged.

It might be that there isnt enough room on your C: drive or something with the rights got changed in Exchange.  Check to make sure the Backup Exec account mailbox didnt get hidden from the GAL.

GoodwillSEW's picture

The backup account is not hidden from the GAL and nothing has changed to my knowledge.  Currently I can duplicate the data domain backup to a local disk on the backup server and I can restore individual emails without a problem.  I just can't do it directly from the data domain.