Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 fails to back up itself

Created: 22 May 2013 | 5 comments
SFG's picture

I have a BE 2012 server that backs up a number of VMWare virtual machines and regular stand-alone Windows servers.  These jobs run without issue.

The last job is to back up itself.  This job always fails.  It starts as "queued" but never does anything.  The job is backup to disk, then duplicate to tape on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  The backup is the c:\ drive only, where the BE binaries are located.  I have another drive for backup to disk that is not backed up.

I try to cancel the job, nothing happens.  I try to stop the BE services, they don't stop.  I have to reboot the server to get BE to be responsive again. 

In the Application log, the only thing I see are database timeouts.  Nothing else or anything in other logs.

Suggestions? 

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

...is your media server also a VM? Where is the BE database located? On a remote SQL instance, or locally using SQL Express? And what is the actual error you receive?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SFG's picture

Media server is a physical server.  BE database is located on the same server using the SQL Express that comes with it.

No errors appear in BE.  The job sits at 'queued".  The "cancel" action does nothing.  I have to reboot the server to get a response back.

I do see SQL errors in the log file like this: 

A time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch -- type 2, bp 04626164, page 1:999, stat 0x4c00109, database id: 5, allocation unit Id: 72057594042318848, task 0x03640E38 : 0, waittime 300, flags 0x3a, owning task 0x03640898. Not continuing to wait. 

and

Database Exception Context:m_QueryTimeoutInSeconds=60 sql=SELECT [NrdsAgentKey],[IsOwnedAgent],[DLEInfoData],[PlatformData],[MiscData],[Heartbeat],[Tombstone],[ResModified],[IsResClockChanged],[ServerModified],[ServerName],[AgentName],[NetAddress],[XmlData] FROM [DBO].[NrdsAgent] a1 WHERE [NrdsAgentKey]=? Error:-536837662: :: -2147217871:Query timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e31 Query timeout expired

CraigV's picture

Open up BEutility.exe, right-click the server name and choose the option to Repair Database.

Then run a backup and see if you get the same issue...

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

VJware's picture

Exclude the Backup Exec database or better still exclude Microsoft SQL instances & retry the backup as a test.

SFG's picture

I'll give that a try.  Jobs are still running.  thanks!