Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2012 Invalid Storage Device Convert to Virtual

Created: 15 Oct 2013 | 7 comments

Hi,

I was trying to convert a physical backup to virtual using the convert to Virtual Point-In-Time feature from one of our month tape media and it doesn't work. All it says after I've setup all the necesarry configurations for Hyper-V conversion is "Ready;Invalid storage device". It doesn't make any sense since the tape is already in the tape drive, had run Inventory and Catalog, I could see the backup sets in the tape.

When I try to convert the same server from a recently tape backup it works, but when I use a several months old tape backup it just says "Ready;Invalid storage device" and doesn't run.

Do you guys have any solution with this?

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Try to catalog the old tape again with Backup Exec. 

Jaydeep S's picture

Could you try and confirm if this tape has a Full backup. Alternatively, if you a B2D folder, you could try to duplicate that job from a Tape to Disk and see if you can convert from there.

arielc's picture

Yes, I've tried that also and it didn't work. But I'm trying it again now with a different tape media. I'll let you know if it will work this time.

arielc's picture

It is a Full backup. I've duplicated the tape to the disk and re-catalog the backup sets and still its says the "Ready;Invalid Storage Device". I notice when I select the Point in time, it still says the media as the tape. I can't seem to find the point-in-time to the duplicated backup sets on the disk.

Jaydeep S's picture

It would be best if you could open a support case as some advanced debugging should allow support to fix this faster.