Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Library Not Found, Tape Drive Offline

Created: 28 Jan 2013 • Updated: 18 Mar 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All,

We are running Backup Exec 2012, this is brand new install,  Server 2008 R2 running on a VM server, HP MSL8096 Tape Library.

BE sees the tape drives, but fails on a test backup or inventory/ catalog. It kicks the tape drive offline.

If I go into the HP gui and manually load a tape it works fine, so seems like BE can't talk to the tape drive and tell it to load a tape. Also in the HP gui, all the tapes are listed there.

Thanks.

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Kiran Bandi's picture

Using BE Media Server within a VM is considered to be an alternate configuration and then there are some restrictions. 

Have a look here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

Is the robot listed as Unknown Medium changer under Device Manager? If not you have to make it visible to media server before using the library.

Thanks!

CraigV's picture

Honestly you need to consider a physical server here. We implemented the same thing at a client (not by my recommendation) using the Adaptec SCSI card as per the TN...when the tape library dropped out of the VM's OS, it necessitated a restart of the host itself. Not cool.

Get a physical server with FC HBAs or SAS card (the MSL8096 can only do those 2!) & you negate a LOT of issues you would have trying to troubleshoot BE running on a VM.

Thanks!

EDIT: Kiran, next time please check out the hardware's specs...the library only comes in SAS/FC versions, and the TN specifically refers to SCSI meaning it won't work.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
Kiran Bandi's picture

Thanks for the advice Craig! 

In my view pointing to TN and clearly mentioning about restriction will do the job, but not in yours! Anyways i will be myself.

Sythor's picture

Thanks for the info guys, I have read that TN, and that's what I followed to add a scsi device in the VM software. Device Manager does list the tape drive correctly.

I had a feeling that running BE thru a VM may be buggy.. I'll have to talk with my boss to see what they want to do.