Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 - License to back up from NAS to tape?

Created: 16 Oct 2013 • Updated: 21 Oct 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I have a client who use Backup Exec 2012 installed on Windows Server 2012. They curently back up the contents of that server to a LTO5 tape drive which works fine, but they have additional data stored on a 2-bay Netgear ReadyNAS network attached storage device which is currently not backed up.

I tried to add an additional server in Backup Exec and pointed it to the IP address of the NAS which then showed me the subfolders on that device, however when I tried to select one of the folders it produced an error about not having an appropriate license to back up the contents of this NAS.

Is someone able to advise which specific license / remote agent is required to back up the contents of a NAS to tape? Does the make/model of the NAS make any difference?

Many thanks,

Thomas

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Here is an How-to explaining the process. You would need atleast 1 Agent for Windows (AWS) installed on the Media Server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189560

SOLUTION
pkh's picture

Note that Windows 2012 as a media server is not supported even with BE 2012 SP2

To backup the NAS you need to have one AWS licence per remote device

tripwiredUK's picture

Jaydeep and pkh, many thanks for your helpful responses, I will order an AWS license through our supplier and follow the provided walkthrough.