Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 for MS Exchange 2010

Created: 22 Oct 2012 | 5 comments

Hi folks,

I just recently setup a new server here at work about a month ago with MS Exchange 2010.  We are running Backup Exec 2012 for 64bit servers.  Backups have been running like a champ, until this weekend.  The backups were failing with this error message.  "V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the following reason: VFF Open Failure. This can be caused by low memory or disk resources."

Which is not the case as the server itself is not low on memory or disk space.  I saw that there were three hotfixes for backup exec and it appears that they may fix the issue.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Updates were installed via Live Update and were sucessful. 

I noticed in the documenation that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers will need to be updated after installing this hotfix.  Now, this server does not have any "Remote Agents" as Backup Exec 2012 is installed on the Exchange server itself, and is backing up to an external drive on the network.

All this said.

1. Does the Backup Exec Agent need to be updated on this local server?  Or is that done during the hotfix installation?

2. If it does need to be upgraded, how is this done?  I see options in the GUI for installing on remote servers but not on the local server. When I tried throgh this, it failed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

1. Does the Backup Exec Agent need to be updated on this local server?  Or is that done during the hotfix installation?

Remote Agent on the media server gets updated automatically whenever you install any Hotfix for the 

core product.

EDIT: Have you installed SP1a for BE2012

Jag27's picture

I had a feeling that was the case, just wanted to make sure.  Been awhile since I've had to manage backups so shaking off the rust so to speak.

I was not aware of a SP1a update.  See the attachment of what I have currently installed.  Is SP1a also needed to fix this problem?  If so, where do I obtain that?  When I run Live Update its showing that I am up to date.

Thanks again.

UpdatesInstalled.png
VJware's picture

From the screenshot, BE looks completely patched...Are you backing up to disk or tape ?

Try creating couple of registry entries as well ~

On the Backup Exec media server:

Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Name : VFF Extended Timeout
Type : DWORD
Value: 600

On the media server is disk backup , else if using tape backup, this key is to be created on the exchange server

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Name: Detach Timeout
Type: DWORD
Value: 10000

Recycle the backup exec services as well.

Jag27's picture

I am backing up to disk.  The Backup Exec 2012 software is installed on the Exchange server itself, and the backups are stored to disk (an attached external drive) is plugged into the Exchange box.

Installing the hotfixes did not help, the backups failed again last night.

"The job failed with the following error: Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information."

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the following reason: VFF Open Failure. This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

It looks like its just getting hung on one of the five mailbox databases that we have on our Exchange server.

Should I apply the registry tweaks and then reboot the server?  Or is just starting and stopping the services enough?

Again, backups have been fine for over a month.  This problem just started this past Friday night.

Thanks for your help so far.

Jaydeep S's picture

Reboot is desired after the registry changes. Just a thought though, have you made any changes or applied any updates or patches apart from Backup Exec.