Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 not overwriting Flash Drives

Created: 26 Jul 2013 • Updated: 16 Aug 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have 5 external hard drives for a full system backup everyday Mon-Fri.  I have the following settings set through Backup Exec button > Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings > Storage:

BackupExecSettings.PNG

I want Backup Exec to overwrite the older jobs on the external hard disks as needed. The disks are 1TB and each daily backup is 188GB. Is there anyway to make this program automatically overwrite or delete the media as needed? Is there another setting that I am missing somewhere?

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Donald Eady's picture

Backup exec 2012 does not overwrite disk based media... DLM should be reclaiming the space that is occupied by expired backup sets.. how ever this will not be done is the storage locations are not accessible when DLM runs. are the USB drive being removed or are they consistantly connected 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201826

I hope this posting was helpful

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Install

Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 2 - www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203155

In the job propeties goto the storage settings and provide the number of days you want to retain the data

BE will delete the files after the data is old enough to be deleted (retension period is over)

"None" settings makes the data vulnerable as the media is always overwritable and is media will not come under the overwrite protection settings.

Technical Support

Symantec

SOLUTION
Donald Eady's picture

If you are swapping the drives in and out please review this document and install SP2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196201

I hope this posting was helpful

Ryan OFlaherty's picture

We are swapping the drives out daily. So when a drive is done we take it offsite until the next day and the process repeats each day. I will try SP2 and let you know how it works.

Colin Weaver's picture

Just for info USB Flash drives probably show up as Removable media (so the same as RDX) which means that currently they do still use the Overwrite Protection Period (media set type control)

Standard USB harddisk show up as standard disk storage and use DLM

The above is likely to change to DLM for everything except tape in the next full release of Backup Exec.

Against your problem the answer is the same, we had a defect for IMG folders (so GRT sets) not overwriting on cartridge based media (such as RDX etc) and this is also addressed in SP2

lmosla's picture

Change the setting to overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media and see if that helps.