Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 - P2V on ESXI Free Edition

Created: 08 Mar 2013 • Updated: 08 Mar 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Greetings,

I am wondering if I can use the P2V feature in Backup Exec 2012 to the free edition of ESXI 5.0. I have tried to run the job to accomplish this but it errors out with the message below. 

"Convert Server to Virtual 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Failed to authenticate with the target server required for creating a standby copy.  Verify that you are using the correct credentials to access the target server."

I did find a few items while Google searching that the free edition needs to licensed for VDDK APIs. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks,

R. 

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Hello rdstack,

Yes.ESX needs to be licenses for P2V option to work in BE 2012. VMware requires that the ESX/ESXi server be licensed for VDDK APIs to work correctly. VMware's VDDK APIs are used during the P2V conversion to ESX/ESXi server. With ESX/ESXi Free License edition, VDDK APIs won't work and a "Host is not licensed for this feature" error will be seen.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

rdstack's picture

Which license gives me the VDDK APIs? I already have VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise license on the server with the feature set below. 

Up to 8-way virtual SMP
    vCenter agent for VMware host
    vStorage APIs
    VMsafe
    vSphere HA
    Hot-Pluggable virtual HW
    vMotion
    vSphere FT
    vSphere Data Recovery
    vShield Zones
    vSphere DRS
    Storage vMotion
    MPIO / Third-Party Multi-Pathing
    Remote virtual Serial Port Concentrator
    Shared Smart Card Reader

Sush...'s picture

Hello rdstack,

"vStorage APIs" this is the license that is required as BE uses VStorage APIs for P2V.

Other than license I think you issue is moreover related to the account.

Please refer to this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187951 : Standby Copy job fails with "0xe000a450 - Failed to authenticate with the target server required for creating a standby copy. Verify that you are using the correct credentials to access the target server."

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

rdstack's picture

Just to verify, in the link it states

"Retype the password for the service credentials and restart the services. - for all the backup exec services in the Services MMC?

Then retype the password for the System Logon Account (these actions should reference the same account)." - I am assuming this is refering to the account on Backup Exec under Configuration and Settings - Logon Accounts - Manage Logon Accounts

Are my assumptions correct?

SOLUTION
Sush...'s picture

Yes. Both the assumptions are right.

Thanks,

-Sush...

rdstack's picture

Well I have a new error message

Convert Server to Virtual 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Failed to get the credentials for the target server from the logon cache.

Any ideas?