Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 R3 Device Tasks Don't Work

Created: 10 Jun 2013 • Updated: 10 Jun 2013 | 12 comments

Backup Exec 2012 R3 Rev 5204

Dell PV-124T Autoloader LTO5

I am trying to perform device tasks (scan, catalog, unlock, initialize) on my tape drive and the job status just stays in a paused state.  The tape drive under the media is enabled and I do not have pending errors or alerts.  What's odd is that I can still run backup and recovery jobs without a problem.

So everytime I swap tapes, the tape drive is locked because I cannot unlock through Backup Exec.  Then I have to manually eject the magazine but of course Backup Exec won't scan the new tapes so I have to power cycle the tape drive.

Any ideas what the problem can be? 

Thanks,

Michael

Operating Systems:

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi Michael,

Under the Devices tab, right-click your server name and choose the option to Unpause. Then try your maintenance tasks again.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Donald Eady's picture

Michael, 

You may also want to verify that the Tape drive is running symantec drivers. This can be done by running Tapeinst.exe

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22788

I hope this posting was helpful

myfootsmells's picture

@CraigV

Nothing is paused.  Also if the device was paused, how would the backup still run?

@Donald

Yes I've tried running with Symantec drivers as well but the problem was still happening.

Donald Eady's picture

Would you be able to post a screen shot of what exactly it is that your seeing when you attempt to run these tasks?

myfootsmells's picture

Yup just finishing up a full backup.  Once that is done I will post.

Larry Fine's picture

It sounds like you may not have your BE 2010 fully patched?  This problem was supposed to be fixed if you have all the patches.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63380

The Utility jobs in Backup Exec will not run until the server is paused/unpaused in the Backup Exec console.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

pkh's picture

Check that your HBA does not support RAID.  There are only a few of these HBA's that are supported.  See the document below.

Support policy for HBA that feature RAID

myfootsmells's picture

Attached are the screenshots.  Symantec drivers are installed.  My hardware hasn't changed.  I was using Backup Exec 12.5 without any issues.  I then completely reformated my server and installed Backup Exec 2010 and then the issues started.

1.png 2.png 3.png
Donald Eady's picture

If you are fully patched up you may want to try deleting the drive and then readding ...  then run the tapeinst.exe command and try to run the utility functions again. I came across a thread that had a similar issue and this served as a solution.. 

Larry Fine's picture

When did this problem start?

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

myfootsmells's picture

I'd say probably after some patches but I'm not sure which one.