Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2012 requires NetBios?

Created: 12 Mar 2014 • Updated: 12 Mar 2014 | 3 comments
KM_'s picture

I am deploying a new install of Backup Exec 2012 on a new domain with NetBios disabled and the environment check stated that I needed NetBios for remote computers? Why is this?

What sort of issues will I run into if I do not use NetBios/are there any workarounds that I can do to not use NetBios?

My plan is to backup files/data from a network share (loaded on a Synology NAS), Exchange 2013 and to backup either OS snapshots or Hyper-V images. Most of the servers will be Windows 2012 R2 (backup servers are Windows 2008 R2 due to the install restrictions of BE).

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

When NetBios is disabled the main problem will be trying to backup computers that have duplicate names. You would need to use FQDN or IP. 

also note that protecting remote Windows Server 2012R2 machines won't be supported till the soon to be released Backup Exec 2014. see https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-2012-r2-update-news-about-windows-server-2012-r2-support-and-target-ga

KM_'s picture

How about Exchange 2013 running on a Windows 2012 R2 server? Can I still backup my mailboxes?

lmosla's picture

Unfortunately, it would be an unsupported configuration until the next release of Backup Exec 2014