Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2012 Restore System State on Domain Controller

Created: 29 Dec 2012 • Updated: 19 Feb 2013 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I'm in the middle of a recovery and used SDR to get me up to a certain point, but now I need to restore the system state from a non-SDR backup that occured later.

I boot to Directory Services Restore Mode but all my restore jobs fail because of account login issues. I came across articles that suggested changing all the services to Local System Account, but that doesn't resolve the issue. I see that under Login Accounts Backup Exec is configured to use a Domain account that obviously can't be authenticated in DSRM mode.

How and the heck to you restore System State with Backup Exec 2012?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

See the section on Restoring System State to a domain controller on page 235 of the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

You then use the local admin account that was set up according to the Admin Guide to do the restore.

mcarp's picture

I tried setting the Backup Exec services to the local Administrator account (should have satisfied the admin rights), and I would still get errors on the restore jobs for System State complaining about the account being used.

What am I missing here?

pkh's picture

It is the BE services on the remote server (DC) that should use a local admin account, not the media server.  On the media server, you add the local admin account of the remote server as a credential and then use this account for your backup job.

mcarp's picture

There's only one server in this environment...a Windows Server 2008 R2 DC with Backup Exec 2012 installed. I'm trying to perform various disaster recovery scenarios form SDR to manual recovery on top of a fresh Windows install, and I've run into issues with everyone except SDR. My particular issue is a series of backup that ran after the last full SDR "compliant" backup and the need to restore full/differential backups and system state on top of an SDR. I went through the Admin manual and followed those instructions and they didn't work. I also saw a large number of conflicting recommendations on forums and other web sites. There's got to be a step missing here somewhere.

Colin Weaver's picture

Please log a formal support case for us to investigate fully what you are trying to do in terms of both backups and restores.

pkh's picture

It is always good practice to have only the OS and applications on the C: drive.  You should put data on a separate volume.  If this is done, the C: drive will be small enough that a full backup would not take a long time.   Therre is not much advantage to taking an incr/diff backup of the C: drive.  The system state is always backup as a full backup even if it is part of an incr/diff bakcup.  Furthermore, an incr/diff backup will only slow down the recovery of the server because there are more backup sets to restore.

Nabil polska's picture

to find what is going on and fix the issue we need more logs and more details and time to reproduce and analyze,

i confirm what Colin said, log a case with Symantec support as the issue needs more investigation

mcarp's picture

Thank you all for your support. Since I couldn't get the system state to restore properly, I had to take a different path to get this server rebuilt and back in production. Any logs are gone now, so I can't provide those and the server is back up and running. Here's some additional information though for anyone interested in commenting.

1. The server is a DC in a single server environment.
1. Any backup for which an SDR was available worked fine.
2. If I tried a restore of the system state from a later backup (that didn't have all components for SDR) in DSRM, it would fail with account issues.
3. If I tried the manual server restore process as outlined in the Admin docs, it would fail with similar account issues.
4. When I installed BE I used a domain Administrator account for the login account.
5. When I tried a system state restore, I followed the recommendations from various sources to reconfigure the BE services with a local system account or administrator account.

SOLUTION