Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 SB and "Offline" B2D Folders

Created: 29 Oct 2012 • Updated: 04 Dec 2012 | 1 comment
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We have the Small Business version of BE2012 installed on a Windows Server 2008 with Exchange 2012 installed.  For now, BE is only used to backup Exchange -- primarily for GRT to restore individual items in user's Mailboxes. It runs daily and has a B2D folder to our file server and only keeps up to 2 days at a time, then the file server gets backed up on to USB drives with Fridays being rotated every 4 weeks.  I know, not the most ideal setup.

I need to be able to Catalog and Inventory one of the older Friday drives that's no longer in the Catalog.  But when I tried to add the drive back as another Storage device, BE complained the device already existed.  Yes it does, but it's in another physical location.  

How can I manually force BE to Catalog and Inventory the drive so I can look for some old e-mails for a user?  From what I recall, we used to be able to do this with earlier versions.

Thanks in advance!

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

RahulG's picture

When you overwrite the older backup the name of the backup files ie. .bkf and img does not change . Does the backup set from which you are trying to restore have files with similar names. YOu may simply rename the file inventory them and try to catalog.

SOLUTION