Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2012 SB and "Offline" B2D Folders

Created: 29 Oct 2012 • Updated: 04 Dec 2012 | 1 comment
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We have the Small Business version of BE2012 installed on a Windows Server 2008 with Exchange 2012 installed.  For now, BE is only used to backup Exchange -- primarily for GRT to restore individual items in user's Mailboxes. It runs daily and has a B2D folder to our file server and only keeps up to 2 days at a time, then the file server gets backed up on to USB drives with Fridays being rotated every 4 weeks.  I know, not the most ideal setup.

I need to be able to Catalog and Inventory one of the older Friday drives that's no longer in the Catalog.  But when I tried to add the drive back as another Storage device, BE complained the device already existed.  Yes it does, but it's in another physical location.  

How can I manually force BE to Catalog and Inventory the drive so I can look for some old e-mails for a user?  From what I recall, we used to be able to do this with earlier versions.

Thanks in advance!

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

RahulG's picture

When you overwrite the older backup the name of the backup files ie. .bkf and img does not change . Does the backup set from which you are trying to restore have files with similar names. YOu may simply rename the file inventory them and try to catalog.

SOLUTION