Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1a Released

Created: 12 Jun 2012 • Updated: 03 Aug 2012 | 120 comments

Backup Exec 2012 SP1a has been released today. Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1a will replace/supercede the previously released Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1.

Here is a TECHNOTE that contains a list of known issues and enhancements resolved with Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 1a.

Comments 120 CommentsJump to latest comment

zak2011's picture

Hi Swathi,

Thanks for the update regarding the service pack1a. Can i go ahead and install it since previous experience caused a lot of issues for me.

Thanks!

Elias AbuGhazaleh's picture

Hi Zak2011, yes you can.  Run the installation through Live Update on your Media server.  Look forward to hearing your feedback on it.

cord's picture

We have one Media Server and 5 Agent Managed Windows Server all backing up with Client Side Deduplication. All was working well until I installed SP1 and then started getting the BE Server Service Stopping problem.

I installed SP1a on the Media Server, Rebooted it, then used the Media Server to update the 5 Agent Managed Servers and then rebooted each of them. The first 4 Jobs ran successfully. However, that last 2 Jobs failed as a result of the BE Server Service stopping again.

From my Media Server running Windwos Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 64-Bit OS, here is a summary of the Applications Event Logs in order

1) 06-12-12, 9:50 PM

APPLICATION ERROR EVENT ID 1000

Faulting application name: beserver.exe, version: 14.0.1798.105, time stamp: 0x4fa3de95
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2
Faulting process id: 0x1160
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd48fb8e6edb29
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9806b164-b502-11e1-a2f9-782bcb5ba6ef

2) 06-12-12, 9:50PM

Windows Error Reporting EVENT ID 1001

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: beserver.exe
P2: 14.0.1798.105
P3: 4fa3de95
P4: StackHash_d6da
P5: 6.1.7601.17725
P6: 4ec4aa8e
P7: c0000374
P8: 00000000000c40f2
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_beserver.exe_8ac3644693cdae73d1928902191485dd3ff6c50_15171f55

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Status: 4

3) 06-12-12, 9:50PM

Windows Error Reporting EVENT ID 1001

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: beserver.exe
P2: 14.0.1798.105
P3: 4fa3de95
P4: StackHash_d6da
P5: 6.1.7601.17725
P6: 4ec4aa8e
P7: c0000374
P8: 00000000000c40f2
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_beserver.exe_8ac3644693cdae73d1928902191485dd3ff6c50_15171f55

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Status: 0

4) 6-12-12, 10:59PM

Backup Exec Management EVENT ID 0

Failed to configure ApplicationHA Console with the Backup Exec media server for Auto Recovery as a Backup Exec certificate could not be issued to the ApplicationHA Console.Check Backup Exec Root Certificates. ApplicationHA Console may not be properly configured or may be giving an improper CSR.

Can someone please advise on this as I have not had a good backup since I had originally installed SP1 on 06-09-12.

cord -

Do you have any crash dumps that may have occurred?  They can be found here (default location)c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\BEDBG).

It would be helpful to also to also gather VxGather logs: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70884

If you can DM your contact infomration, I'll have someone give you a call to work with you on resolving this issue.

cord's picture

Please be advised that I e-mailed to you the crash dump files.

Shawn (cord) - Based on the log files we received, it appears that SP1a isn’t installed on that server.The binaries that are noted on the system at the time of the crash are not the newly updated files included in the Service Pack 1a release.  Can you run Live Update again and ensure you have SP1a installed and let us know.

cord's picture

My live Update is not working so I manually downloaded "BE1798RSP1_x64bit.exe" and ran as admin on my media server and then rebooted. I then updated all agent managed servers from my media server

Here is the error I am getting when I try to run live update. It says it connects and downloads but errors out on the install

LU1825: This update tried to run an application as part of its installation, but the application failed to run.  The update may have gotten corrupted.  Try to get this update again the next time you run LiveUpdate.  Click here for more information on this error

Looks like you are downloading the original SP1, based on the filename you noted.  Go to this technote link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186717&cache=refresh

This is for SP1a, notice the filename has SP1a in it.

cord's picture

Looks like the link I downloaded from Symantec's website was not correct. The URL I used to download SP1a was http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

I re-checked this site and it looks like the link as changed. I am proceeding with downloading the correct version.

Would still like to get my Live Update to work though

Cord - Just following up with you on how the SP1a is going?  I also understand that you are working with one of our engineers about the Live Update issues.  Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or help fascilitate anything further.

MRM's picture

Cord, can you identify the type of disk controller in use?

Also, please share the IP configuration.

I suspect a combination of issues....IP config, disk IO controller etc...

zak2011's picture

I I have also had to install SP1 a manually as live update keeps failings. Every time i try using live update to download sp1a , it says corrupted.

Zak - this could be caused by LiveUpdate and needing to clear the cache.  Here is how:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68334

zak2011's picture

I tried what you have suggested but it didnt work. Please find attached a snapshot of the error.

Live update failure.JPG
Joshua Kane's picture

Zak:

I would like to help you resolve this issue.  I will need some addtional information, namely a Verbose MSI log, the Live Update log, and the Backup Inst log files.  I would be more than happy to walk you through this process or do it for you.  Please send me a private message with your contact information and I will contact you.

Thanks,

Joshua

Joshua Kane

Escalations Manager
ECRT (Engineering Customer Response Team)
Backup Exec Engineering
Symantec Corporation

no-hoper's picture

Has anybody successfully downloaded the new service pack 1a and has it working? I do not want to download load it myself untill i can see that it works.

Brian Brophy's picture

"Does this require a reboot?"

Yes, you will be required to reboot.

Dave OKeefe's picture

At what stage and will I get a message telling me this? Still waiting for update to finish.. 23 minutes so far

cord's picture

Could get Live Update to work. Manually downloaded SP1a and installed onto my Media Server again. (1st time, I believe the Symantec did not have the correct file connected to the URL for download. As long as the file name is says "SP1a" you should be goog.

After installing onto my Media server, rebooted. Then used Media server to update all agent managed servers. Then Backups started working with no more BE Server Service Stopping problems.

aimyatim2012's picture

Hi Team,

I also get thefile corrupted on the SP1 live update BE2012.

Actuallty I'm facing some issue under storage it still hung at "discovering devices"....is there any solition?

Previously our disk as at Z: drive and online; but now after we change to drive E:; now is shown discovering devices.

Fall back also still the same...is there any bugs in BE2012 or else?

Tq

b_______k's picture

Same here.  I'm also seeing the corrupted SP1 live update BE2012.

Joshua Kane's picture

b_____k

I would like to help you resolve this issue.  I will need some addtional information, namely a Verbose MSI log, the Live Update log, and the Backup Inst log files.  I would be more than happy to walk you through this process or do it for you.  Please send me a private message with your contact information and I will contact you.

Thanks,

Joshua Kane

Escalations Manager
Backup Exec Engineering
Symantec Corporation

Judh's picture

I am also having an issue installing the latest patch. I can't use Live update due to network configuration so I downloaded the BE1798RSP1a_32bit.exe installer, Ran it and it failed to complete, rolled back the install, and required a reboot to open backup exec 2012 again.

Joshua Kane's picture

Judh:

Thanks,

Joshua Kane

Escalations Manager
Backup Exec Engineering
Symantec Corporation

b_______k's picture

I see script.dis in 1339540304jtunsp01ax64bit.zip (i.e. liveupdate SP1a) contains:

LAUNCHEX( TempDir, patchsetup.exe,"/NAME:Hotfix 186717 (x64) /UI:NONE", 1 )

Should it reference the following?

LAUNCHEX( TempDir, patchsetup.exe,"/NAME:Hotfix 189907 (x64) /UI:NONE", 1 )

Rgs.

Brent

b_______k's picture

It appears that Live Update may have required elevated privileges.

Joshua Kane's picture

Glad to hear that running with elevated privilages resolved the issue for you.   I will also be talking to the Live Update folks to see if we can generate a more intuative message in situations like this.

I would suggest that anyone else having this issue follow one of the two procedures below

Solution 1:

1. Right click on the Backup Exec shortcut and select, Run As Administrator.
2. Run Live Update again. The Console and LiveUpdate now have Admin rights.

Solution 2: Disable User Account Control (UAC).

Please note this process will require a reboot.

1. Go to Start | Control Panel | User Accounts
2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off.
     a. Click continue in case a UAC warning appears.
3. Clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box, and then click OK.
4. Click Restart Now to apply the change right away, or click Restart Later and close the User Accounts tasks window.

Joshua Kane

Escalations Manager
Backup Exec Engineering
Symantec Corporation

rpatty's picture

Joshua, I ran into this problem, and your run-as-administrator suggestion fixed the issue. However, I'm a little distressed to note your suggestion was from 6 months ago, and the software is still giving this kind of error. Shame it hasn't been fixed to give us more useful or intuitive advice.

cord's picture

After fighting through SP1 and then trying to get SP1a installed to correct issues in SP1 with BE Server Service stopping...I thought I was all good to go

However, I am not getting the following error message from one of my agent managed servers that is backing up with Client Side De-Duplication.

The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered: Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used. Please check this link for additional information: http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-18273.

And, click on the link is of no benefit as Symantec is not finding any articles.

Really getting frustrated at this point.

We have one media server and 5 agent managed servers all running with Client Side Deduplication. Server is question is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition 64-Bit.

How do I diagnose this issue?

cord - did y ou update the servers with Remote Agent  (RAWS) to SP1a and reboot them after the upgrade?

I'm looking into why that link isn't resolving to the appropriate article as well.

cord's picture

I used our BE Media Server to push updates to all managed computers. This was successful. I then rebooted each Agent Managed Server individually.

Also, I rebooted agent managed server in question again this morning and then ran a backup again and got the exact same error.

Cord - Yes still looking into this, working with an engineer now and researching this.

Did you just change the jobs to use Client Side Dedupe? If so make sure services were restarted afterwards:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185521

You can also take a look at these troubleshooting tips:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77683

If neither one of these assist, I would need to get you to send me some debugging logs, here is how to enable them:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126170

JuergenB's picture

I have more bugs now. crying

bengines keeps crashing, simple bugs are not even solved. crying

duplicate jobs aren´t working ... crying

Tape drives appear twice with different serials ...crying

JuergenB, can you DM me your contact information and/or support case number.  I'd like to get an engineer work with you to assist.  We have gotten very positive feedback on this release from other customers, so I want to make sure we get this resolved for you as soon as possible.

SG's picture

@Symantec: What did you do with this Backup tool. I'm amazed that you were able to make version 2012 even worse with SP1... wink You are the Nokia for software... smiley

Will this ever stop? Remembering at Windows NT SP6a

Hey SG - What is the issue you are experiencing?  Hard to assist with the information you posted. ;)

Dave OKeefe's picture

So when Live Update sits there on what looks like about 98% of the install for a long time with no CPU activitity... it's a good sign.... right??

Downloaded file and installed. Now just sitting there with no activity and no other messages. At what stage do I reboot and/or go home?

Dave OKeefe's picture

After forever I decided to restart. Now I get this message when I try to rerun it

LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran.  This update was not applied.

So it didn't install and now it won't install. My backups keep stopping and the service needs to be restarted..

JuergenB's picture

Hi,

is there any way to uninstall the bug "SP1a" ?

I now have the application crash at deduplication jobs...

Faulting application name: bengine.exe, version: 14.0.1798.105, time stamp: 0x4fa3de72

Faulting module name: bengine.exe, version: 14.0.1798.105, time stamp: 0x4fa3de72

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000053097c

Faulting process id: 0x99c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4af5c911cb7f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe

Report Id: 826ca758-b6f6-11e1-95d8-bc305bd094b9

JuergenB's picture

The bengien crashes on a duplicate jobs reproducible .

After the crash the Tape gets duplicated with different Media ID´s.
One tape with media ID has no location and a new media ID and fake BackupSets.

The other tape within my tape lib. gets marked as bad media,
has a new media id and has no BackupSets at all.

Please can anyone tell me how to remove the Serive Pack ...

Dave OKeefe's picture

Amen.. I need this gone. Or Symantec BE 2012 is gone..

Leonardo Dias's picture

After SP1 upgrade, my duplicate jobs aren't working. I'm just waiting the finishing of a job to install the SP1a.

Good luck for everyone

Leonardo Dias

Chionk's picture

I got the same problem. It's very critical for my system. Anyone can help???

Dave OKeefe's picture

I finally got it to install, what a mission. Now when I acknowledge Active alerts it takes so long to acknowledge it times out and if I disconnect I can't reconnect without a reboot.

LMAO I just took tapes out of the main server. Loaded in the replacements and the inventory request timed out... FML...

arielc's picture

Applying service packs are horrifying these days. smiley

I'll wait till almost 80% could install it problem free.

R3van's picture

How can i see if the update process worked? I tried it today over LiveUpdate and i got no error at all. When i try to search fo additional updates there is nothing more available but in the Console shows up Version 14.0 Rev. 1798 and installed Updates means Service Pack 1.

Backup Exec 2012 SP1a | Advanced Disk Based Backup | Deduplication | Enterprise Server | W2K8 R2 | 24 GB RAM

To confirm if SP1a is installed, check under Add/Remove Programs, it would show SP1a listed there.

Dave OKeefe's picture

Which is a misnomer as it is unable to be removed.

xadox's picture

Somehow I am not able to download 2012 with embedded SP1a.

FileConnect is showing me only "Backup_Exec_2012_14.0.1798_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual.zip"

While I made the upgrade from 2010 R3 to 2012 and installed afterwards the SP1a I have now SQL errors.

What are the SQL errors that you are receiving?
Also, the files on FileConnect are expected to go live on/by Thursday morning (6/21/2012).

cord's picture

Still having sparatic problems with BE 2012 SP1a

Is there any updates coming for SP1a? Maybe like a SP1b?

Our Environment - One Media Server and 5 Agent Managed Servers all running Windows Server 2008

- I have one Agent Managed Server that is no longer deduping since installing Sp1a, all other agent managed servers are working fine. No changes were made to the Backup Job. I have already checked Article TECH185521 and all is good.

- LiveUpdate is still showing that Sp1a needs to be installed even though it already is according the Windows Server 2008 Add/Remove Programs. How to resolve

- Another Agent Managed failing when backup job runs for client-side dedupe to our NAS ( all other agent managed jobs are running fine)

Backup- \\aeroeng02\D:Storage device "Deduplication disk storage on NAS N2332:6" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:

No more data is on the tape.

V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Storage device "Deduplication disk storage on NAS N2332:6" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

0x17
V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

BradleySCFO's picture

I'm having insane amounts of problems with Dedupe storage after SP1a.  I get robotic library errors on multiple jobs.. and media errors on others.  Symantec says to go in and use SGMon to find the offending media but you can no longer see the OST files when you look into the dedupe storage like you could in 2010.

My backup jobs haven't worked right for over 4 months.... this is truly a nightmare..  I thought SP1 was a slight improvement then SP1a just broke everything SP1 did that gave me some hope.

What are the error messages you are receiving?  If you have an SGMON log if you can send that to me for review to assist.

BradleySCFO's picture

Well this weekend was another complete clusterf*ck in terms of backups..

Here are just a few of the errors.. given that a majority of the job logs for the failed jobs don't even appear.

e0000f09 - An error occurred when writing to the Backup Exec database. A synthetic backup of this resource will not include the data backed up by this operation until the next full or incremental backup of this resource.

Storage device "SCFO Deduplication:5" reported an error on a request to rewind the media.

Error reported:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Storage device "SCFO Deduplication:5" reported an error on a request to write a media location identifier (file mark).

Error reported:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I'll try to run an SGMon tonight while I run some jobs.  At the moment our MMS system drive is full with logs that were enabled due to one of the 3 tickets I have open with Symantec at the moment.  I feel like I could open a couple more due to the new issues with SP1a.. but I honestly don't have time to even do so.

A couple of points based on the information you indicated here...

The message of "Failure to rewind a dedup store", this sounds like a potential disk corruption.  If you can send me (one of) your Support Case ID #, I can have someone contact you.

It sounds like you are also trying a synthetic backup to a dedup store, is that correct?  (If so, this is not supported)

cord's picture

Just received an invite for BETA TESTING BE 2012 R2!

Are you kidding me! I am still BETA TESTING BE 2012 SP1a!

Sorry Symantec, had to vent a little.

BradleySCFO's picture

You're not alone cord.  2012 seems to be getting worse rather than better.  God if we could afford another product I would have already migrated.

vi-mikec's picture

I am wondering if there is really any comprehensive testing of these products and options before they are pushed out to clients? It doesn't seem so.

I am having the exact same problem as most everyone else. Live update says that SP1a is avaialble, does the download but fails to install on either my Central Admin Server or my Managed Media Server. Something about one of the programs has failed to run.

First SP1a??? Didn't SP1 just come out a little bit ago? Does this mean that SP1 was completely bogus and now has to be replaced by SP1a? Seems to be a little ridiculous.

On another issue, hope none of you let your licenses expire before installing one of these upgrades. Haven't been able to do dedup backups for 3 weeks while the idiots at Symantec figure out what piece of licensing I have to actually rewnew in order to get the correct key. Upgrading from 2010 to 2012 completely broke my backups and they DO NOT CARE! Call this one and that one. Open this ticket, they have to contact someone else, tell them how urgent it is, still noting happens. ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Like someone else said, if I had the time and money I'd rip all the Symantec products out and replace.

The lesson learned here is: Do not upgrade a working version until at least a year or more after the new version has been released and it's up to SP2 or more. You cannot trust this software nor the licensing support or technical support they have. They will leave you out in the cold and blame it on the system.

SG's picture

Vi-Mikec,

This could have been my post! I absolutely agree. The licencing is even more worse than the product. I could write a book how many issue I already had regarding licenses. My company was meanwhile listed as 6 different companies with 6 different customer numbers as the company name was written in 6 different ways. It took my ages to correct this...

The update notifications (if I receive them) does always only cover some of my licenses... the support itself get also worse since Symantec moved it to India. Nearly no chance anymore to get German support... the time to get a call back can be up to 3 days, also for critical issue and so on.

I believe the best version of Backup Exec was 9.1 because Backup Exec was a product of Veritas then... and the Support (at least for European users) was in Europe with native speaking support people.

Symantec should really learn and understand the customer needs!

Best regards,
 SG

mtkinf's picture

After reading this thread, I think I can live with the problems I have with my current 2012 install....

zak2011's picture

I have been facing issues running weekly duplicate jobs. If you dont give the option to run the job immediately after the backup set and if it is set on a schedule,the weekly duplicate job does not run. This has been going on for more than two to three weeks now.I presumed that installing SP1a would resolve this issue but it did not. I got an update from Symantec support right now.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Thanks!

Axel Hüsken's picture

I cannot even install SP1a, I am running into an errormessage:

Product: Symantec Backup Exec - Update 'Symantec Backup Exec (Service Pack 1a)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23127

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Does anybody have an idea? I already searched Symantec Connect and the web, but nothing seems to fit really to this problem?

Thanks
Axel

Axel Hüsken's picture

thx, but the solution provided by Symantec didn´t solve the installation problem.

Since 3 weeks, BE 2012 is not able to do a simple backup, even the so called Experts from Symantec is not able to fix it? The experts (I was in contact with two of them), just ran live update and clicked around .. and told me they had to close the ticket due to Windows VSS problems? 

This and the fact that our Backup solution is not able to run a simple full backup, is just strengthen my intention of going to another product.

Axel, can you send me the case # for your contact with our support staff and I will follow up on this.

zak2011's picture

Quite a strange issue with Exchange backups. After SP1a was installed, daily incremental jobs are failing. Tried doing a non GRT backup and it works. However backing up with GRT fails. Contacted Symantec support and tried a couple of things however the case has been escalated to Advanced Technical support. Its pretty scary now to install any major service packs after other user experiences and what i have been through ever since release of SP1.

vi-mikec's picture

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has installed BE2012, SP1 and SP1a and have no remaining issues? I am scared to put on SP1a due to all the problems reported here. My BE2012 with SP1 seems to be working but is not completing all the jobs in one night like BE2010 R3 did. It seems to take longer. 

Some other issues:

• Duplicate jobs fail or just seem to stall
  • Sluggish performance of the console. It doesn't display the active jobs for a long while when you first start it and takes a long time when editing or saving jobs sometimes having to hit "disconnect" when tired of waiting for it.
  • The console says there are 4 active jobs but I don't see the jobs anywhere??? Where are they?
  • BE2010 allowed you to see all jobs that were running in one screen.
  • Opening each server individually, I see a job which says "Active" but doesn't show the status. I guess this is one of the missing jobs I'm looking for but what exactly is it doing and how much longer is it going to be running? It's work time now, it should be finished.
  • I only want to do Exchange backup with GRT on a weekly full backup not on my daily because it takes too long. Doesn't seem to be a way to do this without creating a seperate job for the incremental and then this automatically creates another full backup that I don't want and that I cannot delete. (Changed it to non recurring so this is ok but not what I wanted).
  • When editing a job, there is no "X" to delete an unwanted job if it is the first one in the list. (like the full I do not want).

Would SP1a fix any of this? Doesn't look like it from the Tech note about it.

JuergenB's picture

Hi,

i have a lot of problems with BE 2012 and SP1a.

I have some engineer fix updates received from symantec, these should work better (they said).
But the fixes doen´t work at all, they don´t know where to look at.

It looks like they have kicked the old school programmers and got a new team for BE2012 crying

Some issues

• Duplication of LTO2 to Disc fails, jobs get stalled, the bengine crashes.
  • Syntethic Backup fails, the full and some incremental are running, then the bengines crashes.
  • Agent aren´t able to backup SQL 2012 Servers, access denied (service account has admin and sysadmin rights on the server.
  •  Even with SP1a i can´t view some of the backup jobs, the server view is empty.
  • Jobs are stalled, sometimes recovered but they are not working.
  • Backup Speed
  • All other bugs i missed (there are a lot more).

I tried Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2012 a month ago, even with no knowledge about the product the first Protection of some server are working after 2 hours ...

With no crashed at all with DPM 2012

On Thursday i have business meeting with a customer, he is changing from his old windows 2003 / SQL 2005 Server Clusters to a new hardware design. (About 4-5 TB in Data). 80 SQL CPU Licences ..

They used to have Backup Exec 2010.

The new server cluster will have Windows 2008 R2, Windows SQL 2012 Enterprise with HA..

I will dissuade him not to use BE2012 at all.

BE 2012 is a great disappointment.

dlsmithjr's picture

Had this problem, until I ran Backup exec 2012 as administrator.  Right click on icon and select "Run as administrator", then  do the live update from within Backup Exec. 

Once I did this, it worked.

Alainros's picture

I also have problems with my backup exec 2012 installation on a win 2008 r2 32 bit server:

• Live update can't install sp1a (package corrupted)
  • When i backup a 2003 r2 file server with vss tecnology, the cleaning of the snapshot fail and deleting all the snapshot scheduled.
  • I have a lot of problems with the backup of virtal machines (esx 4.1), the test credential with the root account is successful but when the backup job start can not backup vms and retourn the error "Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.
    VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file"

With BE 2010 R3 I have not had any problems, standard installation (next, next, next cheeky) and the backups worked without problems...

ps. sorry for my enlish, is not my native language... 
Rogo's picture

Ok... what's up here...??  Did everyone's SP1a install suddenly start working did another(s) hotfix come out after SP1a to fix all these issues?

I tried SP1 with horrible results much like the rest here. Then tried SP1a with even worse results and again much like everyone here. So I'm back to using BE2012 base where I can at least get a backup of all my servers and Exchange 2010 cluster.

So what's the deal Symantec? Has all this been fixed, has SP1a been stabilized and made safe and useable yet? What is going on?

vi-mikec's picture

I have put on SP1, SP1a and a hotfix which just was released a few days ago. The system is still very broken. Backups are very slow when they do work, strange media errors are popping up saying that media in a slot is in an invalid format and to reinitialize it even though I am using disk backup with dedup so there are no slots. It's not a tape drive.  Jobs sit there without moving for hours, dup jobs fail with unknown error, it shows 8 active jobs but when I look at the server view it doesn't show any running jobs. Opening up each server one by one I find there are jobs but they only say "Active" and show no status. If I try to open the job it gives me the change job screens not a status.  I feel these are hung jobs and am having to end/restart services everyday to end all the crap in hopes I can get a good backup that night but hasn't happened yet.I got a full backup this weekend but almost all of the dup jobs to my CAS server failed so no offsite storage of this backup yet.

I have a ticket open and worked with several people and now it supposed to be escalated up to the next level. No one has called me back for 2 days. Just called in again today to request a call back. This is a seriously broken product. It has not worked correctly since upgrading to 2012. Last working version was 2010 R3. If I get fired over not being able to recover my environment I think I'll sue them for selling a product that they obviously know does not work. It's been 2 months and still not a 100% working system.

People are probably just getting tired of talking about it and switched to another product which does work.

Rogo's picture

Thank you for your response vi-mikec. Pretty much what I expected but wanted to be sure.

We're a local city government and with our budgetary restrictions I'll have to wait until next year before I can purchase a solution that works. Grrrrrr......

vi-mikec's picture

to Bill Felt @ Symantec:

You sent me the following private message in response to my last posting but clicking on the lick to reply back to your message gets an error which says "Access Denied".

Hello vi-mikec,

I am interested in following up with our support organization in regards to your support ticket. Can you provide me with your ticket number?

Thanks.

My ticket number is 418-784-161

Bas Lips's picture

I can say i'm not sure what to think of these fast Service Pack releases. Especially 1a shortly after 1. Doesnt make me advise customers to upgrade to 2012.

zak2011's picture

HI,

I got an issue which i almost thought was resolved in Service pack1a. Unfortuanetly its come back again yesterday.

Jobs disappear from Backup Exec 2012 Console and a warning is noticed towards the bottom left hand corner in the console "The query for Job View failed".

This has been addressed on the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Unfortunately although i have sp1a installed, all my jobs have disappered yesterday.

BEsymc's picture

This condition is seen after you delete a job or two out of a set of jobs you have created using multiple job edit feature of Backup Exec 2010. For example, if you select three servers and click edit backups to create multiple jobs for servers at a time. After some time, you go delete one of those jobs, you may get into such condition. However, if the jobs are created after SP1a, you should not get into this issue.

Could you please confirm if these are jobs created after SP1a or prior to that?

As far as this issue is concerned, you may want to contact Tech Support to get you out of current situation.

zak2011's picture

. I deleted two jobs which were not needed anymore and i started getting this problem, these jobs were created prior to sp1a.

Jeff Zankofsky's picture

The fix is really just to prevent the problem from occurring. If you already were seeing the problem prior to installing the SP, you will need to call Support. They should be able to clean up the Backup Exec database to keep this from happening in the future.

zak2011's picture

Thanks Jeff for the reply. After i installed BE2012 a few months back, i got this problem and when i contacted support they said that many customers were facing the same issue and a fix was on the way. The Advanced support took a webex session, ran a query on the Backup SQL database for jobs with a particular schedule id and deleted those jobs and  cleaned up the database. Then they asked me to apply the fix. Once i applied the fix they told me the issue would not recur again. Unfortunately this has happened again after deleting a job. I have already contacted support yesterday. They have escalated the problem to Advanced techincal support. I understand that the support would repeat the process of cleaning the Backup Exec database and delete jobs having the problematic schedule ids. However since the problem recurred even after service pack 1a was installed, doesnt it mean that cleaning up the database is just a temporary fix? What can be done to prevent this from happening again?

BEsymc's picture

As you say:

I deleted two jobs which were not needed anymore and i started getting this problem, these jobs were created prior to sp1a.

That is the issue we don't have resolved yet. So, to explain the issue, prior to SP1, multi edit feature had a problem because of which two jobs started to share a schedule. After SP1, this should not happen. However, if you have those old jobs and you delete one of them, the schedule is still gone. At this point, the fix will be to run the script again to have things back normal. Once that is done, would recommend avoid deleting any jobs created prior to SP1. New jobs will not be an issue.

okay.'s picture

tested 2012 in our testenvironment and all worked fine. Updated to SP1 all worked fine since 4 weeks. Installed a new machine for produktion 2012 worked fine. Liveupdate to 2012 SP1a nothing is working. It is not possible to start the beserver.exe. Eventlog says: EventID 7000 -

The Backup Exec Server service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

What can I do at the moment?

Thanks!