Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2012 SQL 2012 on a two node Windows 2008 R2 Cluster

Created: 29 Mar 2013 | 5 comments

I am looking for advice or articles towards backing up a 

2-Node SQL 2012 Cluster

Windows 2008 R2

I am not sure if it matters or not, but this is all running on vSphere 5.1. 

Thanks in advance for your input. We currently own Backup Exec 2012

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

VJware's picture

Adding to the above comment, one other point is Application GRT is not supported when the application (SQL in this case) is distributed across VMs.

Only option to overcome both above mentioned points is to run a RAWS based backup and not using the Agent for VMware.

mcrex77's picture

Thanks for the input. I am or wasn't looking to use the agent for Vmware in this paticular case. My primary concern is to 

Back up the two nodel SQL 2012 Cluster. I am not a Backup Exec guru, so I am not sure what GRT or RAWS stand for. 

VJware's picture

GRT  - Granular Recovery Technology

For egs- You can backup the complete vmdk & if need arises, can restore individual file/folder without restoring the entire vmdk

RAWS - Remote Agent for Windows

If your primary convern is to backup the SQL cluster, then go for 2 Agent for Applications & Databases licenses. Install the agent for windows software on both nodes, give the Backup Exec account appropriate permissions such as sa & back up SQL via the virtual node.

mcrex77's picture

Ok, thanks. That helps quite a bit. I was concerned there was something I was missing, since this is a 2 node cluster. So, I should just focus on using the Agent for applications at Databases.