Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 support for Windows 2008 R2 SP1

Created: 04 Jun 2014 • Updated: 05 Jun 2014 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I've been reviewing the latest SCL for BE 2012.

I noticed only Windows 2008 R2 STD with Hyper-V is supported.

There is no mention if SP1 is supported ?

Can anyone confirm if Windows 2008 R2 SP1 STD with Hyper-V is supported with Agent for vmware & hyper-v ?

For the deduplication options. Is global deduplication supported ?

Thanks,

Paul

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

If it is not in the SCL, then it is not supported.

What do you mean by global dedup? With the dedup option you can dedup all your backups

VJware's picture

SP1 is explicitly listed under Hyper-V section of the BE 2014 SCL. However, BE can be installed on any OS which is listed as supported under server - operating system compatibility. Afaik, it should be OK if using Win 2008 R2 SP1 as Hyper-V host with BE 2012.

Lastly, do have a look @ this blog regarding Global DeDupe - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/global-deduplication-myths

pkh's picture

If SP1 is not in the BE 2012 SCL then how is it o.k. to use it as a VM host? If the user wants to backup the VM's as VM's then they would not be able to load the remote agent on it and get supported configuration

VJware's picture

Win 2008 R2 SP1 is listed supported under server and remote agent compatiiblity as well. I would say it is OK based on the server/remote agent compatibility and secondly, we do have lots of KB articles mentioning SP1 implying that it is OK. As an example, here is one KB - https://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201259

SOLUTION
access's picture

Hi,

I think the article you posted is clear.

Just one quick question.

I don't have agent for VMware & Hyper-V,

can I just install the agent for Application and database  or Agent for Windows on my VM and backup the specific VM only?

Would I be able to do the same via Backup Exec 2014?

Thanks,

Paul

VJware's picture

Yes, you can. This is akin to backing up the VM as if it were a physical machine.