Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 System State 18,446,744,073,709,551,090 bytes

Created: 25 Mar 2014 • Updated: 27 Mar 2014 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have a new client whom has Backup Exec 2012 SBE version 14.0.1798 running on a Windows Small Business Server 2011 x64 bit. All of the backups were failing for months. Upon testing, I was able to isolate the problem to the system state component. When I created a seperate job for the system state and attempted to run it, it believes there are 18,446,744,073,709,661,090 bytes to backup, which will take 33463.19:08:37 days!

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Update the media server with the latest SP for BE 2012, and any subsequent patches via LiveUpdate. Once done, see if you get this issue again. If so, try recreating the job and report back.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
JF_ITP's picture

When I access Live Update with Backup Exec, it states everything is up to date, even though I only have Service Pack 1 installed.

Can I download SP4 and install? I ask because I have the Small Business Edition - I'm not sure if such version is compatible with SP4.

Thanks,

Colin Weaver's picture

yes you can download SP4 m,manually and it does apply to the SBS edition (which uses the same install media with different license codes as the non SBS editions)

The reason LiveUpdate is not showing SP4t is because there is a delay of a couple of weeks between LiveUpdate availability and the initial manual downlaod release, however during this time because installing SP3 is a waste of time and effort we remove existing updates from LiveUpdate - hence you see no available updates in LiveUpadet if you check at the moment.

SOLUTION
JF_ITP's picture

I installed SP4 and ran my existing System State backup job. Instead of climbing to almost 1 GB, it climbed past 3 GB. I re-created the job and the same thing happened. I have a scheduled reboot this evening, and will try again tomorrow.

JF_ITP's picture

I resolved the issue. Once I disabled GRT (granular recovery technology) for my system state backup, the job completed in under 40 minutes. The speeds were nearly a GB, where previously they crawled to 0.62 MB.

Thanks for your help in getting my Backup Exec upgraded to SP4. That was likely another component of the issue.

SOLUTION