Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 upgrade reports the DLO (Desktop Laptop Option) must be removed before the upgrade can continue.

Created: 26 Aug 2012 | 13 comments

I am trying to upgrade from Backup Exec 2010 R3 to Backup Exec 2012 on SBS 2011.i am getting the problem The Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option feature has been detected on this machine. You must either migrate the Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option feature to Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option or uninstall the Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option feature and retry the Backup Exec installation.

i read the below article 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180330

which is saying you need to get latest service packs and hotfixex must be installed. please see the list of updates below and the option not showing DLO while uninstalling. i have got all these there is no further updates available. but i am still not getting option to uninstall DLO. can some body help.

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

As per the note mention in the article above it describes ,and you have commented doing that still doesn't help,
NOTE: For Backup Exec SBS (Small Business Server) editions the option to remove DLO is not available until the latest Backup Exec service pack and hotfixes are installed for Backup Exec 2010 R3. After the latest Backup Exec 2010 R3 patches are installed the DLO option can be uninstalled/removed from Backup Exec SBS editions.
Also please check the link below and see if this steps helps

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190321

Moreover if still you ru into issue you can take backup of data and catalog folder from C-Program files -Symantec-Backup-exec ensure when doing this SQL service is stopped and backup this to some other drive or one desktop and once done start SQL service and then uninstall BE2010 completely and restart the SBS one after doing that and ensure it has cleaned all directory from C-program files -Symantec-Backup-exec and C-Program data -Applicatiom data -Symantec -backupexec ,if you still see this directory delete them.

Now install backup exec 2012 from 2012 sp1a ISO file you have ,and once dome using live update ensure you patch it completely using live update.

Please use the steps mention in link below to do manual migration.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50537

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

CraigV's picture

...I suspect you missed the part where the OP states quite clearly he has all the available patches installed and that there are no more??? surprise

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

...I suspect you missed the part where the OP states quite clearly he has all the available patches installed and that there are no more???

I am not sure by suggesting this what are you pointing as I have not recommended anything to OP which he has done before.

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

harry89359's picture

hi can you please suggest from the image above if i have got all the latest updates and patches. if available then why i cannot see the option to remove.

pkh's picture

You need to remove DLO from the Windows Program Add/Remove.  You cannot just deselect DLO in BE itself.  Did you do the procedure described in the document that you have quoted, i.e.

To Uninstall the Desktop Laptop Option from a previous version of Backup Exec perform the following steps:

1. From the Start Menu Select Control Panel
  2. Select Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features (whichever applies)
  3. Locate Symantec Backup Exec
  4. Right Click and Select Change
  5. Leave Additional Options Selected (this should be the default)
  6. Select Next
  7. On the Next Screen Select Next
  8. Drop Down Backup Exec Options
  9. Uncheck Desktop Laptop Option
  10. Select Next
  11. Select Install
  12. Select Finish
  13. Reboot the Server
Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

You can try as per my above comment to uninstall & Install BE 2012 as fresh install & then do migration

Thanks

Sameer

harry89359's picture

Hi

This is not good Symantec cannot provide simple solution for migration. they can make a list of the patches or updates which required for upgrades.

Thanks

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

In your case it looks like the DLO is already been used in trialware for 60 days due to which it is showing under option not avilable for trialware and hence you are not able to add it again to remove it.

Thanks

Sameer

harry89359's picture

Hi Sameer

i am uninstalling BE on this friday and try to install the BE2012. i will let you know the outcome on friday. In the mean time can you please let me know do i need to uninstall the agent from my two other servers as well as the BE is installed on SBS2011 server and it is also backing up 2 other servers.

Thanks

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

No need to uninstall the remote agent from other 2 server just do this operation on Media server.Once you install BE 2012 ensure you upgrade remote agent on remote server to BE 2012 by doing push install from Media server

Thanks

Sameer