Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2012 - Virtual Machines Appearing as Physical Machines

Created: 12 Jun 2013 | 1 comment

Hi,

We're running two Windows Server 2008 R2 servers, both running the Hyper-V role and both hosting 2 virtual machines each - all running Windows Server 2008 R2 as well. One of the host machines has Backup Exec 2012 installed and we're covered by 2 Agent for Hyper-V licenses with an extra agent for the other physical host machine i.e. We have a total of 6 servers being backed up by Backup Exec 2012.

When I initially installed Backup Exec on the new host server (and added all the other servers), the Backup and Restore server page displayed the 2 host servers as physical machines, and the 4 virtual machines were displayed as virtual machines (with the neat little blue Windows icon). There have been a couple of issues and changes that have come up whereby I've needed to remove servers, and later add them again. Initially when I removed a virtual machine and re-added it, it was displayed as a physical machine. I came accross a solution on this forum that suggested re-adding the virtual machine with it's FQDN and it would display as a virtual machine. I tried this and it worked. We've had other issues come up and I've removed and re-added 2 other virtual machines using this same method, but they're still being displayed as physical machines. So:

* How can I get virtual machines to display as virtual machines in Backup Exec (2012)?

* What sort of impact does it have when Backup Exec sees it as a physical machine, when it's actually a virtual machine?

This install is completely up to date, so all patches and hot fixes should be installed, yet I'm still having this (annoying) problem.

Please assist, thanks!

Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Hello ZA_Lad,

When you install the remote agent on the Virtual machine and add it manually in the Backup & restore tab then it will show as Physical machine.

If you take a backup of the Hyper-V using the Virtualization agent and using the GRT option then the VM will be added automatically to the Backup & Restore tab and it will show as Virtual Machine.

* How can I get virtual machines to display as virtual machines in Backup Exec (2012)?

--> Remove the machine from the Backup & Restore tab. Then take a Hyper-V backup using the Virtualization agent and with GRT option selected. Now it should automatially be added as Virtual machine.

* What sort of impact does it have when Backup Exec sees it as a physical machine, when it's actually a virtual machine?

--> There should not be any impact in the functioning of the backups and restores even if the machine is showing as physical or virtual.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!