Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Virtualization: exclude Disk from Virtualization

Created: 04 Feb 2014 • Updated: 04 Feb 2014 | 1 comment
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We have a physical server with Windows 2003 R2 running with two disks: a basic one ("C:") with the Operating system installed and a dynamical one. On the dynamic disk is a Sybase Database installed (bin + data) and the SQL databases located (only data).

Regarding that dynamic disks cannot be virtualized

(V-79-57344-42053 - Cannot convert the physical machine due to an unsupported dynamic disk.)

I followed https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exclude-files-simplified-disaster-recovery-sdr-backup-backup-exec-2012 and excluded the D: drive, a drive necessary for SDR, via the registry entry.

But still the Virtualization fails because Disk 1 (the dynamic one) is created nevertheless I don't backup anything from this disk. In the "Convert to Virtual Options", I can choose "Edit Disk Configuration" but I cannot disable one of the disks (see screenshot).

backupexec_virtualization1.jpg

Is there a way to tell Backup Exec to exclude disks from virtualization? I wouldn't mind not having SQL up and running immediately, I just want to have the OS itself virtualized.

Or is there something more in the system state which needs to be excluded like the D: partition via a registry entry?

regards,

Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Hello there,

During the Physical to Virtual conversion Backup Exec will create the number of VMDK / VHD files equal to the number is hard disk attached to the server (VMDK for Vmware , VHD for HyperV).

So even if you do not select your D: drive for conversion it will still create the VMDK / VHD file for same but willl not consume any space for that file. There is no way to exclude the same as it is by design that  number of VMDK / VHD files equal to the number is hard disk attached to the server.

Regards,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

SOLUTION