Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2012 Virtualization: exclude Disk from Virtualization

Created: 04 Feb 2014 • Updated: 04 Feb 2014 | 1 comment
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We have a physical server with Windows 2003 R2 running with two disks: a basic one ("C:") with the Operating system installed and a dynamical one. On the dynamic disk is a Sybase Database installed (bin + data) and the SQL databases located (only data).

Regarding that dynamic disks cannot be virtualized

(V-79-57344-42053 - Cannot convert the physical machine due to an unsupported dynamic disk.)

I followed https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exclude-files-simplified-disaster-recovery-sdr-backup-backup-exec-2012 and excluded the D: drive, a drive necessary for SDR, via the registry entry.

But still the Virtualization fails because Disk 1 (the dynamic one) is created nevertheless I don't backup anything from this disk. In the "Convert to Virtual Options", I can choose "Edit Disk Configuration" but I cannot disable one of the disks (see screenshot).

backupexec_virtualization1.jpg

Is there a way to tell Backup Exec to exclude disks from virtualization? I wouldn't mind not having SQL up and running immediately, I just want to have the OS itself virtualized.

Or is there something more in the system state which needs to be excluded like the D: partition via a registry entry?

regards,

Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Hello there,

During the Physical to Virtual conversion Backup Exec will create the number of VMDK / VHD files equal to the number is hard disk attached to the server (VMDK for Vmware , VHD for HyperV).

So even if you do not select your D: drive for conversion it will still create the VMDK / VHD file for same but willl not consume any space for that file. There is no way to exclude the same as it is by design that  number of VMDK / VHD files equal to the number is hard disk attached to the server.

Regards,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

SOLUTION