Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2012 VMWARE GRT Backups

Created: 21 Mar 2012 • Updated: 08 Nov 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have just upgraded.

After a succesfull backup of a VMware server, I try to restore it as a VMDK.

The Server restores succesfully. But when trying to boot it we get "Operating system not found".

I have logged a case but haven't had any feed back yet. It has been 4 days.

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

VJware's picture

Did the VM have both SCSi & IDE drives ? If yes, was the OS on the SCSi drive ?

Ben L.'s picture

Can you private message me the case number so I can look into the issue?

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

jlowe's picture

I have tried on several servers. Some with 1 virtual disk, some with 2.  All our servers have SCSI drives - so yes the OS would be on a SCSI drive.

I have experimented with the SCSI Controller type as per advice in other forums, no change

jlowe's picture

Ben L - have sent you the case Number.

Cheers

Steve Kratz's picture

If you find something, please post it here -- I have the same issue on a test Win2008r2 backup/restore from ESXi.

jlowe's picture

Unfortunatly after a week of waiting for support I have had to uninstall the 2012 version and revert to 2010.

Symantec quickly reverted by pretty much saying, that I had resolved the issue by downgrading and the case would be closed.

I've installed 2012 in a test env, but would have to be pretty convinced to upgrade again.

I confirmed that the error happens when using SAN, or Ethernet as the transport media. It also occurs if you restore as a flat file locally.

Not impressed. 

SOLUTION