Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 Yearly Schedule does not supersede

Created: 24 Jan 2013 | 6 comments

Hello all!

Please consider this -

• Weekly: full backup on every Sat,
  • Monthly: full backup 1st Sat of a month and
  • Yearly: full backup 2nd Sat of Jan in a year.
  • All same time and of course server.

Monthly does indeed supersede the weekly backup in the backup calendar.

But yearly does not supersede the weekly job. What does seem to work is putting yearly on 1st Sat instead of 2nd. Is that a bug (I suppose) or a feature?

Well, there's plenty of time to fix that... in my case. smiley

Thanks in advance, Manuel

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

That is the way it works / as designed (so not a bug)

the hidden supercede rules apply to jobs that try and start at EXACTLY the same date and time - you are changing the date by using 1st Sat for one and 2nd Sat for the other.

Note: the word "time" on it's own can mean just hours minutes seconds or can mean the date as well - in this contect if you have seen us define the rules as exact time - we do mean both.

fsbofh's picture

Hi,

well I don't get it, yet - if it's the same date AND time - how does it work in the first place with Weekly and and Monthly? Weekly is defined: every Sat on 1:00, Monthly: every 1st Sat of a Month - so the definition differs here. Or is it so that there's a hidden rule; Montly defintions can override Weekly, and Yearly Monthly... haven't tested a schedule with only Weekly and Yearly schedule which "collide" yet...

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I did a test - Yearly overrides Weekly just fine if I only have a Weekly and a Yearly schedule in the definition... looks like the supersede-routine just scans for the "next-less-frequent schedule" instead of looking for all.

Kiran Bandi's picture

But yearly does not supersede the weekly job. What does seem to work is putting yearly on 1st Sat instead of 2nd. Is that a bug (I suppose) or a feature?

A Bit confusing to meee! On 1st saturday of every month you have Monthly Job configured to run. So, if you change Yearly to run on 1st saturday of Jan, is it superseeding both Weekly and Monthly?

fsbofh's picture

Yes, that's exactly right - on 1st Sat it supersedes the Weekly and Monthly job, on 2nd it does not supersede the Weekly job...

Colin Weaver's picture

OK I will try and explain further

The supercede rules only apply if two job stages in the same job definition try to start at the same time (this means date and time must exactly match.)

If 1st Satuday is 1st of Month then 2nd Saturday will be 8th of month and the Monthly job will not be trying to start at same time as Yearly one so no rule applies and both jobs will run, one on 1st Saturday, one on 2nd Saturday.

The way the rules are designed is that as long as start times and dates exactly conflict then the job with the least frequency will run. So this scenario

Daily Monday to Friday Start time 21:00

Weekly runs on Friday Start time 21:00

Monthly runs on 1st Friday of Month - Start time 21:00

Yearly runs on 1st Friday of Year  - Start time 21:00

Will result in:

- the yearly being the ONLY job to run if it is the first Friday of the year.

- the monthly running if it is the first Friday of the month but not the first Friday in the year. 

- the weekly running on any Friday that is not the first Friday of the month/year

- the daily running Monday to Thursday and never running on a Friday. ( admitedly this also be done by telling the daily to only run Monday to Thursday as well, just giving an example)

In above example, if you change the Yearly to 2nd Friday of year it will slightly affect when the weekly runs in January, but both the January Monthly and the Yearly will run as they will be different Fridays

fsbofh's picture

Hello Collin,

thanks for your patience!

In above example, if you change the Yearly to 2nd Friday of year it will slightly affect when the weekly runs in January, but both the January Monthly and the Yearly will run as they will be different Fridays

Well, both Monthly and Yearly would run, according to my Backup Calendar, but also the Weekly (it is not affected). If I leave Monthly out of the definition, Weekly gets superseded. Could you try to reproduce?

Here's a Screenshot for illustration, Weekly does not get overridden:

Here, Weekly does get overridden:

But perhaps I'm just a little thick. smiley

Regards, Manuel