Backup Exec and HP Tape Drives: Full & Differential Backups - Tape Dependancies
I am trying to understand the dependancies between the Tapes when it comes to Full and Differential backups in BE 2010.
I am using an 8 slot HP Tape Drive to backup my data to from a NAS Device.
I have a succesfull FULL Backup onto the Media in slot 05.
I wish to take the differrential backup of the target and back it up to the Media in Slot 06.
My queries are as follows:
- I have created 2 backup jobs, One for full and One for diferrential backups from the same target.
- The differential backup as i understand does 'not' reset the archive bit which is initially set by the full backup.
- Having said that, where exactly is this 'archive bit information' stored ? Is it on the Tape containing the full backup or somewhere in an internal database within BE ?
- The reason i ask the question is because i am trying to understand wether the Tape in Slot 05 containing the full backup is required to be present while BE performs the diferential backup in Slot 06 ?
- If the above (point 4) is true, and if I have already removed the tape from Slot 05 post a Full Backup, can I just put the tape back in to Slot 5 (or any other available slot apart from Slot 06), run an inventory within BE and continue with the Differrential backup normally ?
Thanks a lot !