Backup Exec backing up to a PGP whole disk protected target & then replicating to a DR site!
Good evening Connect community
I have just been in a long discussion with a customer around ways to achieve the following:
- Backup using Backup Exec 2010 R3
- Encrypt the backup to disk (no tape anywhere in the solution)
- Replicate the backup sets to a DR site
Initially I suggested Backup Exec + Dedupe Option (at both primary and DR site) + CASO to satisfy efficient backup to a disk-based backup setup, plus deliver the ability to replicate the backup set (via optimised duplication) to the DR site. What I didn't realise is that media server encryption and deduplication are not compatible... we've gone around the houses with options:
- Encrypt using Backup Exec, then replicate using a 3rd party tool like Doubletake
- Don't bother with encryption as the dedupe data on the hard disks means nothing without the catalog
- Encrypt the disk backup target using PGP whole disk encryption
After discussing for a long while, the 3rd option, backing up to a disk target that has PGP whole disk encryption running seems the preference but I have no experience of this in practice and neither does anyone on Symantec pre-sales.
Your thoughts and suggestions are very, very welcome!!