Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec doesnt properly recognize new tape drive in library

Created: 02 Oct 2013 • Updated: 03 Oct 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

We recently had to replace one our tape drives in our library.

Instead of recognizing that the new tape drive is part of a library, Backup Exec 11d thinks that its a standalone drive that's not part of the library.  It's a SCSI drive.  Since Windows and Backup Exec do recognize the drive, this should indicate that the pinout is fine, but I cant figure out how to get Backup Exec to realize that the new drive is part of the library instead of standalone.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to reinstall your tape library and tape drive

SOLUTION
lmosla's picture

Hello, does the library have the Symantec drivers installed?

Rahul Kumar1's picture

Have you checked the compatibility of the tape drive with Backup Exec 11d. I am attaching the Hardware Compatibility list for Backup exec 11d.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46703

Thanks

formermaritimer's picture

hi pkh,

We've run that tool a few times, but no luck.

The Symantec drivers were installed.  The library was working fine until it started having tape drive issues and we swapped the tape drive.

What we're going to try next is to update the firmware on the library to see if that helps.  You just never know.

formermaritimer's picture

So, to give everyone an update.

The drive now appears to be working as it should be.

(1)  The new drive actually did have some tiny dip switches that needed to be adjusted (even though Windows and Symantec did see the drive.

(2)  I updated the firmware for the library

(3)  I updated the drivers for the tape drives

(4)  Finally, the tapeinst.exe utility was run as pkh suggested

One would wonder why the new tape drive was recognizeable if it didnt have the correct settings, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Thanks for all of your help folks.  Ill update this if anything changes.