Video Screencast Help

backup exec Hp D2D 4106 FC installtion

Created: 30 Jan 2013 • Updated: 17 Feb 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi ,

We are going to install Backup Exec 2012, Hp D2D 4106FC and Hp 2024FC tape library . backup server , tape device and D2D will be connected over a SAN switch abd the backup will happen over the LAN .The client has purchased only following licenses s, do we nee to purchase any additional licenses . please help me

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 SERVER WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS  -1

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 AGENT FOR WINDOWS WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS  -8 ( agent for 8 servers )

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 AGENT FOR APPLICATIONS AND DATABASES WIN PER SERVER BNDL COMP UG LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS - 4 ( for 2 Sql culst

Please  comment whenther they need to purchase and Library expansion license and VTL unlimited lincese .

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Kiran Bandi's picture

LEO license is required if you have more than one tape drive within the library. Otherwise no need of it.

How you are going to use HP D2D system with BE? If you are planning to use it as a VTL with more than one drive, then VTL Unlimited Drive option is required. If you are planning to use it as Disk Storage no need of any extra license.

Thanks!

madhugvr's picture

Thanks Kiran ,

I  have only one drive in MSL 2024. and i am planning to use one VTL drive  in 4106FC D2D. do i require LEO license in this case ?. basically there will be one  robotic drive from MSL 2024 and one VTL  drive from 4106 presented to the D2D. please comment.

ZeRoC00L's picture

No extra LEO licenses are required for your setup.

As long as each device has only 1 (virtual) drive, no extra licenses are required.

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

teiva-boy's picture

A LEO is for physical tape drives.  BE comes with 1 already.  You then buy any extras you need beyond that.

A VTL license is for a single VTL device.  Granting you the ability to create an unlimited number of virtual drives in that VTL appliance, and not having to worry about needing LEO licenses.

Basically if you had a VTL and only carved up 2 drives within it, it would make more financial sense to just buy a couple of LEO licenses.  However once you create 3 or more drives in a VTL, it makes better sense to buy the VTL license.

So the 2024 if it contains 1 drive only, needs nothing additional.  If it has 2 drives, you'll need 1 LEO.

If you decide to use the VTL function of the D2D, then the VTL license is beneficial.  However you can still use CIFS and thats free...

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

SOLUTION