Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup exec - loading media forever backing up exchange 2010

Created: 10 Dec 2013 | 11 comments

Hi there,

I use BE2012 and have configured two backup jobs for our exchange2010sp3. One SDR running once weekly backing up everything except the database and one database backup that also runs once (weekend) and incremental during the workdays. The incremental jobs run without problems but the full database backup runs for hours now - wrote 70gb of data and has stopped a few hours ago but still active. It switched between "loading media" and "backing up" but no more data are written. Can somebody figure out what may be the problem?

The backup media is an smb-share on a nas-storage.

Thanks for comments

Marcel

Operating Systems:

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

It could be that there is a network problem and the NAS is no longer accessible by BE, or the NAS is full.  Try to do the backup to a local disk.

MusSeth's picture

Are you backing up data to disk or tapes, please check alerts there might be an alert waiting for you to respond, as you mentioned that it switches between loading media and backup running. if backing up to taps most likely this could be because of new tape request.

pkh's picture

The user said that he is backing up to a NAS

soulseeker's picture

The backup stopped this night with the error message "no more free space available"

Ok, today I used a different storage, that is connected via ISCSI to our backup server. The backup of exchange ran without problems.

Difference was ISCSI instead of SMB and there was also more free space. The NAS has 500 GB free space, the ISCSI-target around 2 TB. The backed up file size was 80GB.

Why does it stop with an error message "running out of space"? Other backup jobs still run without problems. Should I better switch completely to ISCSI?

pkh's picture

You should switch to iSCSI. The is less problem with permissions, etc

MusSeth's picture

could you please tell us what is make and model of the NAS, please check the HCL make sure NAS is listed in list and is supported for GRT

soulseeker's picture

It's an iomega storcenter ix4-200d ... ok, I guess ISCSI seems to be best practise. One more question please - when I switch that NAS to ISCSI I have to migrate all the backed up date to a temporary disk ... after reconfiguring the drive I will add a new location in backup exec and plan to copy the old backup to the new ISCSI target. Do incremental jobs still work after switching the backup device? Or should I leave that moved backup at the new location and do a full new set of backups of the server farm?

CraigV's picture

...if you move the B2D folder while redoing the NAS, and then copy them back and retarget the B2D then all jobs should continue as per normal.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

MusSeth's picture

incremental jobs might not work ...well good idea would be to start with new backup set on the new location once you have it configured in BE, run a full and than let the subsequent incremental run on it.

CraigV's picture

...why would they not run if everything has been reconfigured as it was? Would this then mean that because backups don't run, restores won't either?

I've moved B2Ds before (albeit not with INCR/DIFF) and never had a problem resuming them. Do you have some documentation around this that you can share?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

MusSeth's picture

no craig i meant the old backup set which contains the incremental backups which failed that might not work while trying to restore, for that i was suggesting to point incrementals to new location and have the new backup set starting with a full backup