Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup failing with communication error E00084F9

Created: 17 Oct 2012 • Updated: 06 Nov 2012 | 13 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec 2012 Version 14.0 Revision 1798 (64-bit) - Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

I have multiple servers that do incremental backups Mon-Friday to a specific tape in a Quantum Superloader 3 using DLTtape VS1 (DLT-V4) tapes.We had 20 tapes in our library and the backups to those tapes work with out an issue. I recently purchased 5 more the exact same kinds of tapes but when I run the backup jobs to those tapes the first job runs fine but the second job either bombs at the beginning or sometime during.

I will get the following errors.

The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1, is not ready for access yet.

The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Storage device "QUANTUM 0001" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:  0x17 V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

Storage device "QUANTUM 0001" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.

Also after it fails under Apendable Until in the Robotic Library details it will state Not Appendable (End Marker Unreadable)

This ONLY happens with the new tapes. I had those 5 tapes replaced but I am still having this issue. I've done both a quick and long erase on the tapes.

I've talked to Symantec Support and to Quantum and all I am getting from them is a SCSI issue or bad tapes. But 10 bad tapes from 2 seperate orders??? Also if it is a SCSI problem why does this only happen with the new tapes. I am running the same jobs the same way on the same hardware. The ONLY difference is the new tapes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

...I'd suggest upgrading the firmware on both your tape drive and SCSI card to see if this resolves the issue.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Sonny Sanders's picture

I was told by both Symantec and Quantum that I was at the latest firmware. I will check though.

lmosla's picture

Have you done a full power cycle of your tape drive? 

1. Power Off the Server
2. Power off the Tape Drive
3. Power on the Tape Drive to a 'Ready' State
4. Power on the Server
then inventory the new tapes

Sonny Sanders's picture

I did a full power cycle this morning and did an inventory and erase on a tape. Started the backup for one server and it finished fine and the tape looked to be fine. I kicked off the second backup and it fails.

It appears to be failing during the verify process. This happens everytime the second job kicks off. And this same process works perfectly on the older tapes.

And this time the tape does not show up in the slot after it finished. I had to do an inventory which gives me the Not Appendable: End marker not readable.

----- TapeAlert Events -----

The device has reported the following TapeAlert diagnostic information.
Please contact your device manufacturer for more information regarding TapeAlerts.

Warning - A severe error occurred while reading or writing data.  This job may not have been successfully completed.
Robotic Library: Robotic library 0001
Drive: QUANTUM 0001
Slot: 12

Critical - The tape is from a faulty batch or the tape drive is faulty:
1. Use a good tape to test the drive.
2. If the problem persists, call the tape drive supplier helpline.
Robotic Library: Robotic library 0001
Drive: QUANTUM 0001
Slot: 12

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f9 - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the Agent for Windows.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Storage device "QUANTUM 0001" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

0x17
V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

Verify- \\server.company.lan\System?State \\server.company.lan\System?State
Storage device "QUANTUM 0001" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.

lmosla's picture

Sonny, take a look in the Windows Event Viewer under System. Are you seeing any Event errors like Event ID 5,7,9,11,or 15?

Take a look at this link http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24414&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1350582252730

Did you use the tapes that work in a previous version of Backup Exec? 

Make sure you have all the current patches and updates installed from Live updates.

Sonny Sanders's picture

I am getting ID 9 and 15 errors.

The tapes that are working are the ones that worked in a previous version of Backup Exec.

I will check on updating the patches and updates.

Thanks.

Sonny Sanders's picture

I did the updates and it stopped the ID 9 and 15 errors but not the second backup job from failing.

Is there something that needs to be done to new tapes to make them writable?

Also I am getting a Drive TAflag [6[ Write Failure on the Autoloader when this happens.

I've been using Backup Exec for years and have never seen anything like this.

CraigV's picture

If a tape is new it is overwritable! No need to do anything around that. However, use the Quantum tape utility and do an erase of a tape through that. Then try the backup again.

Might also be worth your while to check the tapes that the jobs are failing on for excessive Hard Write Errors.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

lmosla's picture

All of these errors point to your tapes being bad or your hardware.    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH7645

Here is a link about the last error you are getting  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/stor-sys/124t/en/124tlto2/trouble.htm

To get this issue resolved your best bet would to have your hardware support person look into it

Sonny Sanders's picture

Well I am the hardware support person along with the other 50 hats that I wear. I'm not much good at any of those jobs but I'm what they get for being cheap!!

I know that all of the alerts point to either bad media or bad hardware. I am going to eliminate hardware since I have run backups on 8 servers each night this week to older tapes without a single error.

At this point since both sets of new tapes were purchased through CDW I am thinking that for some reason they must have a batch of bad tapes.

Sonny Sanders's picture

So far out of 10 new tapes I have had 1 that has worked so I am  going to call this one solved. A bad batch of tapes. smiley

Thanks for the help.

lmosla's picture

Good to hear Sonny.  Im glad all is well

Sonny Sanders's picture

The problem returned and Quantum replaced the autoloader and this fixed the problem.

SOLUTION