Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Backup failing with error 58 after moving Vmware VM to a different data store

Created: 25 Sep 2012 • Updated: 26 Sep 2012 | 5 comments
DNT's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

I am in need of your assistance, please. :)

Here's the history:

A vmware VM running Windows 2008 R2 with Exchange and needed to be moved to a different data store. A copy was made of the VM to the new data store and the copy started up with no problems except for the Windows software to be activated again. 

Since the move, however, the existing exchange backup for that server has been failing with error 58. I have tried starting the services on the Windows server via the command prompt using "bpup -v -f" but not all services start. See output below:

 

NetBackup 7.5 -- Startup Utility
 
Starting services
> NetBackup Legacy Network Service
> NetBackup Legacy Network Service -- NOT STARTED
> NetBackup Legacy Client Service
> NetBackup Legacy Client Service -- NOT STARTED
> NetBackup Client Service
> NetBackup Client Service -- NOT STARTED
> NetBackup SAN Client Fibre Transport Service
> NetBackup SAN Client Fibre Transport Service -- DISABLED
> NetBackup Bare Metal Restore Boot Server
> NetBackup Bare Metal Restore Boot Server -- STARTED
Start up of one or more services failed.
 
Has anyone experienced this before and is their an effective solution? 
 
Extra info:
Master server: Solaris 10 SPARC
NBU version: 7.5.0.1
 
 
 

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

The answer may well be in the servers application or system event logs

When the service fails to start it should log a reason why - so this is a good starting point

It may need the NetBackup service logon account if it had issue joining the domain after the re-activation or something like that

Maybe set them back to local system - see if they start then change them back again to see what happens

Hope this helps

 

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

SOLUTION
DNT's picture

Hey Mark

I did see an error message about credentials for a service not being correct. I had a quick chat to the administrator of that system earlier in the day and he mentioned that the server had to be rejoined to the domain. 

I logged into the server now to have a look at some of the points you mentioned and the I saw that the services were running! Started them again from scratch just to make sure it was indeed ok, and they started up successfully with no errors. I wish I knew what was changed as I didn't log onto the system since I left the office until I logged in from home now.

Ran bptestbpcd from master server as well and it went through successfully, where earlier it failed. A backup is running now as well, whereas in the last week or so it has been failing. I will have a chat to the admin tomorrow, perhaps they changed something on the server. It seems to have fixed itself? 

Would have really liked to give you a thumbs up for your suggestions, though :-)

Mark_Solutions's picture

feel free to give me a thumbs up! - and i may be right yet .. your admins may mention it had domain issues or had to re-set the service accounts!

Looking forward to knowing what is was

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

DNT's picture

Spoke to the admin, he did give the services new account detail after reading my email to him about services not all running. So you were right, it had to do with the service logon accounts. 

Get yourself a thumbs up for a good suggestion yes