Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup not bigger then 327 bytes

Created: 22 Jan 2013 • Updated: 29 Jan 2013 | 15 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all,

A few weeks ago we update our Symantec Backup Exec system from v12 SP4 to Backup Exec 2012 version. Everything works fine (I don't like the new interface ;)) only we got a strange problem on one file server. Every backup we make from this server isn't bigger then 327 bytes?

There is a working connection between the media server and the file server, because we can choose the directory's in the backup selection configuration. Also the connection test finish without any problems.

When we start the job, it finish succesfully within 5minutes. The log doesn't show any error or strange messages. We already try a couple things to fix the problem;

• Update the agent to the latest version (with the push function from the media server and also a manual installation)
  • Disable the Windows Shadow Copy option in the job configuration
  • Uncheck some directory's in the backup selection configuration

But nothing fix the issue :(

Do anybody know a solution for this problem?

Some extra information:

• Media server = Windows 2008 server
  • File server = Windows 2008 server
  • File server backup should be +/- 40GB
  • Media server and agents running on the latest version of Backup Exex 2012

Sorry for my rusty English ;)

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

Hi, I see that you mentioned that you already installed all the most recent updates but could you verify that you are patched up to Service Pack Revision 1798 http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186717 since it addresses this issue. 

Also, have you tried recreating the job?

pkh's picture

How can he patched to the most recent update and avoid installing SP1a??

pkh's picture

Are the files on this problem server under DSF?  If they are, then you got to backup the shadow copy component.  If you select the files under the normal backup selection, they would not be backed up.

DeBuX's picture

Hi,

The files are stored on the server, we don't use DSF.

pkh's picture

Are all your backup jobs full backups?

Have you tried to a restore from these backups, so that you can see what files are actually backed up?

Save a joblog from one of these jobs in HTML format and attach it to your reply.

What is the OS of this problem file server?  Have you check the SCL to make sure that the OS is supported?

BE 2012 SCL

DeBuX's picture

Are all your backup jobs full backups?

- Incremental & Full

Have you tried to a restore from these backups, so that you can see what files are actually backed up?

- Yes, I tried to restore the files from these backups. Only it doesn't found anything.

Save a joblog from one of these jobs in HTML format and attach it to your reply.

- Find the files attached, the files are viewable with IE (I change the names for privacy)

What is the OS of this problem file server?  Have you check the SCL to make sure that the OS is supported?

- The OS on the problem server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition SP1, it should working with Backup Exec 2012.

AttachmentSize
Job Logs.zip 6.99 KB
pkh's picture

Your joblogs show no errors, but they say that 0 files are processed.  This might be expected for incremental backups, but is very unusual for full backups.

What are the files that you are trying to back up?  Certain file types are automatically excluded by AFE.  Create a directory, fill it with some text files and try again.

DeBuX's picture

Most of the files are default file types, like .PDF, .EXE, .DOC etc.

I try to back-up (full backup) a new folder with 452 .TXT files and it still doesn't backup anything...

Backed up 0 files in 1 directories.
Processed 584 bytes in  2 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.017 MB/min
Compression Type: Software
Software compression ratio: 1:1

Andrew Madsen's picture

What do your includes and excludes look like for the server?

The above comments are not to be construed as an official stance of the company I work for; hell half the time they are not even an official stance for me.

DeBuX's picture

Please find the printscreen attached, we only have includes.

printscreen.png
Colin Weaver's picture

Please log a formal support case if you have not already done so.

CraigV's picture

...and to add to what Colin has posted, please post back here with the solution and close it off.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

DeBuX's picture

Ok, it's already fixed. The solution was really simple...

1. Remove the agent from the problem server
  2. Restart the problem server
  3. Install the latest agent version manually on the problem server
  4. Restart the problem server again
  5. Make a new job on the media server
  6. And it works :)
SOLUTION