Backup Restoration Data Staging
I am currently working to restore a small directory. During the restore process the job has failed due to insufficient space to stage. I was able to get the job to complete. But, I had to build a 1TB drive on my SAN and attach it to my Backup Exec Media server via iSCSI. During the restore job the SAN became completely bogged down and would not allow users to log into their virtual environments. The restore is going from TAPE to a Redirected File location on the Media Server. Backed up Drive Size where the Directory resides is 1.4TB. During the restore there were no other jobs running on the Backup Exec Media Server.
Question 1: How much data needs to be staged?
Question 2: Do I need to stage Data? (Is there a way to set up my restorations to be direct?)
Question 3: Is it normal for a restoration using my configuration to bog down the entire SAN?
Backup Exec Software Version
- Backup Exec 2010R3
- Backup Job is performed using the VM Agent (VMWare)
Backup Exec Media Server Information
- Server only used for Backups
- Windows 2008R2 64bit
- 4 CPU
- 8GB RAM
Dell TL2000 Autoloader
- 2 LTO5 drives
- Connected via iSCSI to the Backup Exec media Server
Dell Compellent SAN
- 1TB drive for Staging Mounted to Backup Exec Media Server
- Mounted via iSCSI
- Down to 12% space after the 1TB Staging drive was created and attached to the Media Server.