Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Windows XP Backup Exec 2012

Created: 14 Jul 2013 • Updated: 08 Aug 2013 | 4 comments
Jordanco's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

Do i need DLO option (Backup Exec 2012) for backing up WIndows XP SP3 ? Or i can just install the RAWS and make backups including SDR backups just like any other server?

• Backup Exec servers and the remote administration console are no longer supported with Windows XP, Windows 2003 SP1 and below, or Windows 2003 SBS SP1 and below. Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP2 or Windows 2003 SBS SP2 are the minimum requirements for computers running the Agent for Windows.

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

With Backup Exec 2012 you can backup Windows XP SP2/SP3 machines. To use Backup Exec you will need an agent installed on the server.

As for DLO, it is now a seperate product and not included in BE 2012. Hence the licensing and compatibility would be seperate.

SOLUTION
pkh's picture

If I am not mistaken, you cannot use SDR to restore a Windows XP machine.  You have to do a manual recovery.

SOLUTION
Jordanco's picture

Thanks for the reply,is DLO requiried for a SDR backup of Win XP ?

Why would i need DLO ?

pkh's picture

DLO is a separate product from BE.  It is used to automatically backup user's files/folders to a central server.  It cannot be used to recover a remote machine because it does not backup the system files.  If you are looking for a product to do a complete recovery of user machines, then DLO is not for you.  To recover a machine, you use either BE or SSR.