Video Screencast Help

BackupExec 2010 r3 Logon Credential Error 0xe0009b61

Created: 17 Sep 2013 • Updated: 26 Sep 2013 | 17 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi everyone,

As of last week I've been getting this error-

0xe0009b61 - The logon account that was provided does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct, and then try again

The server is SBS 2008 with Exchange/Sharepoint backing up to an external hard drive that is rotated out weekly. No changes were made to the user account and I've never ran into this issue before last week. The account has administrator, user, backup, logon as a service, logon as a batch job, and all of the other required permissions as defined by Symantec. No upgrades have been made to BackupExec either and things were running fine before this point. 

I've checked and tested the resource credentials for the backup jobs and each pass (some say "successful-used server credentials" is this normal?), Tried to repair the program but it fails at the Live Update installation, Recreated the service account and updated the password, Created an additional account for testing had same results, Checked and double checked that the services can successfully start and run-all good. Live Update tells me that there are no components installed for updating.

I've manually created a one time backup job and it's been running for 14 hours (full backups take about 9hrs) so I've had to cancel the job to avoid affecting end users with server performance being used. The last thing to note is that the event viewer is showing some SQL issue with not finding components (I'll update with the exact errors) but no logon failed errors.

At this point I'm not sure where else to go with it and I'm nervous that something will happen before I can get this fixed since I'm not very fluent with BE.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Operating Systems:

Comments 17 CommentsJump to latest comment

Donald Eady's picture

Please take a look at the following document ... 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129044

Additionally i have sent you a private message 

I hope this posting was helpful

Rahul Kumar1's picture

Is Service Pack 3 installed for Backup exec. If not then please install SP 3 and push it to remote agents.

blackwhiteblack's picture

Hi Rahul and Donald,

I've attached screenshots for BackupExec, LiveUpdate Error, and AD Group Membership of the service account used for BackupExec.

Keep in mind that the service account does have all of the required permissions and that this hasn't been an issue until last week.

I'm able to create and run a backup job with the exact same selections and user credentials without a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks!

BackupExec Info.JPG BackupExec.JPG Service Account Membership.JPG
Rahul Kumar1's picture

Hi,

This means service pack 3 is still not updated.

To fix the liveupdate issue please follow the below steps.

1. Browse to Backup Exec installation directory from Command Prompt. The default location is  C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec.

2. Run the command-  "BeUpdateOps.exe -AddBE -OptOut"  without quotes.

3. Run liveupdate again to install SP3.

Thanks

Rahul Kumar1's picture

And about your question regarding the new backup jobs are working fine with the same selections and credentials, it seems like the previous job has gone corrupt causing the failure and when you created the new job it started working.

Thanks

CraigV's picture

...would you mind editing your previous post if it is within a couple of minutes of the previous post?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Hi Rahul,

I will try repairing Live Update this evening and see what changes. The backup jobs are for local resources only and therefore I don't know if this will make a difference or not.

As for the credentials, when viewing the debug logs the credentials are showing as blank almost like there is no password provided. I've re-ran the logon wizard and reapplied the password to the service account with no luck.

I'll update back after I fix live update.

Thanks!

Hi Rahul,

I was able to repair LiveUpdate and it can see that SP3 needs installed but gets an error and isn't able to complete. I've downloaded the SP3 patch but am not able to install it seperately as it says "The wizard was interrupted..."

Donald,

When I run the jobs seperately, they run for 14+ hours and I'm having to cancel them before completion. I've ran the Logon Wizard and nothing changed.

Thanks,

Kevin

pkh's picture

You can download SP3 from this link and then install it manually

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 3

Hi Pkh,

I've already manually downloaded the file (from that location) and tried to run it and it fails to install with "The wizard was interrupted..."

pkh's picture

Make sure you using an administrators account with full read and write access to the server when you are installing the SP.

If you are using terminal service on that machine, use Add/Remove Programs to install the SP.

I am running with full adminstrative privileges and at the server locally. Error still remains.

Rahul Kumar1's picture

Any service running task manger like setup.exe or msiexec.exe?

Thanks

Setup.exe is running during install. The install almost fully completes, gets to the point of "Writing Registry Values" and then begins to roll back the operation.

I have run the install as an administrator and the error still remains.

Rahul Kumar1's picture

Do you have a cae number? Probably someone needs to setup a webex and need to have a look on this.

Thanks

Rahul,

I've been working with Donald Eady on the issue, I will keep this post updated for others with the same problem.

Thanks

**UPDATE**

For anyone else running into this issue, here is what I did to resolve it. I've built a completely new backup selection list for testing and it ran successfully (using the same credentials as the original backups). So I deleted the backup selection list and schedule in BackupExec that was giving me errors and recreated a new backup job selection list and schedule from scratch. I wasn't able to use the original Backup Selection list as the credential errors remained. Hope this helps someone else. Unfortunately, I'm still unable to update to SP3 but I'm not too concerned as I'm moving away from BackupExec shortly.

Thanks!

SOLUTION