Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

backupexec 2012 and oracle 11gR2 on linux cridintial problem

Created: 07 Oct 2012 • Updated: 17 Oct 2012 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

hello..

we are trying to backup an oracle database 11g R2 64-bit installed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 using Symantic Backup Exec 2012 installed on Windows server 2008 R2 enterprise edition....

the RALUS was installed on the redhat server and configured properly as follows ...

and then the redhat server was added to the server lists 

i have added the RedHat server twice... first using the IP address and second using the FQDN

and then i have added the server to make a backup job and selected the oracle resources for backup and tested cridintials 

but when i try to run the backup job it displayes an error....

in the server list.. i tryied to to add the server for the first time using just its IP address... but it failed..

and then i tryied to add the server twice using both the IP and the FQDN... but it failed...

and then i tryied just using the FQDN... but it failed...

the agent is correctly configured... and i made sure that i have typed all the passwords correctly...

i have tryied to reinstall the agent... i even have made a very separet test environment with new installations but it gave me the same error ....

here is the contents of the /etc/hosts file for more details...

[root@oraclesrv-hay init.d]# cat /etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
192.168.204.135      oraclesrv-hay   oraclesrv-hay.haythoom.com

ok.... all these snapshots comes from a test environment i made... because at the production it is hard for me to shutdown the database.. or make certain changes...
i need to know why it displays the authintication error although everything seems to be done right....

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Check that you have these best practices in place

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74434

You might want to try to change the port as recommended by the above document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH37415

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48609

SOLUTION
Haytham Helmy's picture

hello...

i have already done all the recommendations ..

and i have successfully changed the NDMP port number to another free port number that is not used by other network services....

i still can't backup the database... but i can backup the linux directories...

when i try to backup the database tables it gives me the cridintial error message and the job fails 

Sameer Kapadia's picture

Hi,

The server name added/listed in database access configuration of AgentConfig should exactly match the server name added in the server list on Backup Exec server. Snapshot 1 and 3 in your original post. Moreover with same name the server should be added in 'Backup and Restore' tab of BE. This server should be browesed and backup job created.

For eg. if in database access configuration if provided IP address then, IP address should be used in server list on Backup Exec server and with IP address the server should be added, browsed and job created.

Please check these for more details on above:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73887

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73885

Looking from your attached snapshots, they seem to be different. Snapshot 1 shows 'ObjectName : Machine' and in Snapshot 3 you have IP address and FQDN added. Can you confirm these? Also make sure when you 'Add Server' in 'Backup and Restore' tab to use the same name and create a backup job for it.

Thanks,

Haytham Helmy's picture

hello... thank you very much for your reply...

ok... that is what i have done...

first i have changed the oracle listner configuration to use the FQDN of the oracle server instead of the IP.. and then i have restarted the listener and the database..

i have reinstalled the RALUS ... in the installation process... it asks me for the server where i am going to install RALUS... i gave it the FQDN of the oracle server ...

and then it asked about the backup server... i gave it the FQDN of the backup exec server... as i have added an entry for it in /etc/hosts

and after the inistallation is complete i have used th config utility 

then i moved to the bacjup exec server 

in the settings i have added three entries .... 

first.. for the server IP... second.. for the server FQDN.. third.. for the server short name

and then i added the server to the server list in (( backup and restore)) page .. when i add it using the FQDN.. it creats one entry for the server with its FQDN... when i add the server using its IP i found out that two entries were created automatically ..one with the server IP nad the second with its FQDN ... 

i created a backup job for the server with its FQDN entry...

and here are the cridintials test..

and when i try to run the backup job i get the following error ... 

i have done all of these steps again but using the IP address only... means.. i have shutdown the database... and the oracle listner... reconfigured the listner with the server IP address... started the listner.. started the database... and then i reinstalled the RALUS .. gave it just IP  for the oracle and backup server... and then in the backup server deleted the server.. added it again using the IP address.. and the test cridintials were successfull... and when i tried to run the job i got the message of the cridintial falure ... 

Haytham Helmy's picture

hello...

i think the problem was resolved...

all what i have done is to use a custome port for the agent... and use the same port in the backup exec settings .... and it really worked this time ...!!!!

i have used a port number that is not used by any other process....

i am going to make more backups... to make sure.....