Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

BackupExec 2012 Rebooting during Exchange backups.

Created: 04 Feb 2014 | 7 comments

Hello,

I've got a strange situation with one of our servers where BackupExec 2012 runs perfectly fine when doing files/folders, but when I try to have it run an exchange GRT backup it crashes the server completely with in seconds of the job starting.  Minidumps point to beremote or ntoskrnl processes as the probable cause but no other useful information. 

Server:  Windows Server 2008 Standard FE SP2 fully up to date.

Backup exec 2012 SP3 with all latest updates and hotfixes.

Exchange 2007 Version: 08.01.0436.000

I've tried enabling/disbaling GRT, AOFO, checkpoint restore, nothing has made any difference so far.  Backups are targeted to a ReadyNAS iSCSI drive.

My boss would really like to have exchange backups be more then just the large files I get from the files/folders backup job but I'm at my wits end here as I've done multiple other 2010 and 2012 backup exec installs on various server hardware/software and this is the first time I've had complete reboots 100% repeatable with exchange.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Is there an AV installed on the server in question? If so check to see if it is scanning the BE services (beremote.exe especially if this is what is crashing), and put in exclusions for these. Then try the backup again.

Failing that, try repairing the BE installation through Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Sush...'s picture

Hello Velmeran,

Try to run the backups after unchecking the option "Perform a Consistency check before the backup when using Micorosft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider" in the backup job properties under the Microsoft Exchange tab.

Let us know the result of the same.

Also try to check the Event viewer on the Exchange server to check if there are any events registered before the server crashed.

Regards,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

velmeran's picture
Hello Craig and Sush,

I've made the changes suggested and there is no AV client on this machine currently, running a full backup on the exchange system is still resulting in a blue screen crash with the only eventlog data being the below.

I tried just doing the mailbox database and not the public folders which was the first database/logs being backed up by the job and while this looked to have helped things, getting about 48GB of data in, it still crashed after 14 minutes.  

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Backup Exec
Date:          2/4/2014 7:48:16 PM
Event ID:      34113
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SERVER-01
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SERVER-01") (Job: "Exchange-Full") Exchange-Full -- The job failed with the following error: Unspecified error

We_shall's picture

Hi,

==You can run a NON-GRT backup of Exchange and then try GRT backup.

==Check the space on the Temp location set in the backup job.

==Try this, you wont get the server crash

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

CraigV's picture

...the OP stated in his initial post he'd tried GRT/non-GRT backups of Exchange with the same result.

Thanks!

EDIT: and how will the TN help the OP if the error stated in it doesn't relate to his?

CraigV's picture

...matter of interest but have you tried to backup the Exchange server's Information Store to a local disk? Are you backing up the IS to the NAS using iSCSI (if not, and it can do so and you have spare storage, try this!) or using a share?

Thanks!

Sush...'s picture

Hello Velmeran,

I think instead of trying new things again and again I would suggest you to open a Support case with Symantec support as this crash will need some deeper troubleshooting.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!