Video Screencast Help

Backupexec 2012 remote agent for windows

Created: 10 Apr 2013 | 8 comments

Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade my BE from 2010 to 2012, so I have a "BE windows remote agent" installed in a client, but in license portal of Symantec I upgraded my license from old version to new, but the serial number that came for the agent was "Laptop client option".

I was hearing about it that BE 2012 would came with remote agent embedded, but in my case, I am receiving error in backup job saying that I must to buy special license to backup remote client.

This is right?

Thanks.

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

You probably need to speak to our customer care licensing team as that sounds like a possible Desktop Laptop Option (DLO) license and not an Agent for Windows license

Alo the remote agent binaries/programs have always been embedded in a Media server as it needs them for multiple functions including backing up itself

CraigV's picture

...just do a push-install and upgrade the remote server in the meantime. You can get backups going that don't complete with exceptions while sorting out the licensing issue.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Verneti Berny's picture

Thanks Craig, but my server was a problem and was chenged to new with new S.O. Windows 2008 R2, so as we already received the new version of BE, I installed it in this new server and push-install this version to the remote windows client.

I try to contact to license department here in Brazil, but it doesn´t know if I need to buy new license or it must be embedded on BE 2012.

Verneti Berny

Unileaf - Brasil

Verneti Berny's picture

I´m trying to contact with our customer care licensing here to know about what I need to do, if I need to buy new license I think that we will to downgrade to the old version again.

Verneti Berny

Unileaf - Brasil

CraigV's picture

Seriously? They don't know if the RAWS agent is embedded? Colin is correct on that part...BE as part of the media server has it installed by default, with nothing to license for it on a media server.

For your remote server, you need 1 x RAWS agent to be legal in this regard.

Thanks!

Verneti Berny's picture

Yes, person that I contacted, told me that I must to ask to my customer care what about to do.

I only know that before upgrade we had 1 BE media server and 2 RAWS agents, after upgrade we have 1 BE media server and 1 Desktop Laptop option.

Verneti Berny

Unileaf - Brasil

CraigV's picture

OK, so the RAWS agent can still be installed while you're sorting out the license. It's a key that you enter from a piece of paper, but you can install it in the meantime.

With 2 RAWS agents on your previous version, it would have allowed you to backup 2 remote servers (excluding the media server which is covered by its own base RAWS agent!).

Thanks!

Verneti Berny's picture

Now I believe that it doesn´t had the old agent anymore, because I uninstalled old remote agent and installed new agent via push-install in a attempt to fix my problem.

I´m wait for our software vendor contact to resolve this issue, and will post here the solution.

Thank you very much.

Verneti Berny

Unileaf - Brasil