Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Created: 01 Nov 2013 | 10 comments

When Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 2013 Small Business is installed on the server (SBS 2011) the data rate of backup dropped to 10% of the original rate, before SEP installation, not able to complete the backup within reasonable time. We use BackupExec 2012 and the backup destination is a NAS on gigabit network and a local removable storage. Both are affected.

I tried to follow some recommendations from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105418&locale=en_US

Unfortunately the menu items referred in this post do not even show up on the SEP Manager. Is there a way to set up SEP Small Business to prevent this backup performance drop? Without addressing this issue SEP would not be usable on my server.

Operating Systems:

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

What happens when you disable SEP (to test)?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

mmpmt's picture

I tried the disable for the duration of the backup, still very slow. In the end I had to uninstall the SEP from the server and just having it on the clients. This is a pre-sales trial so Symantec was not able to create a ticket for that problem, despite pleas from their sales person who wants to close a sale.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

.Brian's picture

Ideally, adding the necessary exceptions should handle this. 2013 is cloud so it looks nothing like SEPM 11.x or 12.1

I've had pre-sales tickets created before so I'm not sure why that is happening.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

mmpmt's picture

Thanks, I will try to call their support again. BTW - the installation I am testing is not cloud, it is managed locally by the SEP Manager running on the server.

SameerU's picture

Hi

What are the SEP components installed ?

Regards

mmpmt's picture

He,

Server had all SEP default components installed:

- anitivirus

- proactive threat  protection

- network threat protection

Regards,

.Brian's picture

Have you tried with only the AV component?

mmpmt's picture

I will try that next although I was hoping that SEP would offer more than just antivirus for the server. Perhaps SEP is not a good match with SBS environement?

.Brian's picture

Problem is support needs to troubleshoot this but with pre-sale it sounds like they're not responsive?

mmpmt's picture

Indeed, the Symantec sales person and I were on the line together trying to get a ticket from support and it proved to be impossible without support number. I will give it one more shot before looking elsewhere.

Thank you for your help!