Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 01, 2013 02:14 PM

When Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 2013 Small Business is installed on the server (SBS 2011) the data rate of backup dropped to 10% of the original rate, before SEP installation, not able to complete the backup within reasonable time. We use BackupExec 2012 and the backup destination is a NAS on gigabit network and a local removable storage. Both are affected.

I tried to follow some recommendations from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105418&locale=en_US

Unfortunately the menu items referred in this post do not even show up on the SEP Manager. Is there a way to set up SEP Small Business to prevent this backup performance drop? Without addressing this issue SEP would not be usable on my server.

• 2.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 01, 2013 05:33 PM

What happens when you disable SEP (to test)?

• 3.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 01, 2013 05:43 PM

I tried the disable for the duration of the backup, still very slow. In the end I had to uninstall the SEP from the server and just having it on the clients. This is a pre-sales trial so Symantec was not able to create a ticket for that problem, despite pleas from their sales person who wants to close a sale.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

• 4.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 01, 2013 07:00 PM

Ideally, adding the necessary exceptions should handle this. 2013 is cloud so it looks nothing like SEPM 11.x or 12.1

I've had pre-sales tickets created before so I'm not sure why that is happening.

• 5.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 02, 2013 12:47 PM

Hi

What are the SEP components installed ?

Regards

• 6.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 02, 2013 11:24 PM

Thanks, I will try to call their support again. BTW - the installation I am testing is not cloud, it is managed locally by the SEP Manager running on the server.

• 7.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 02, 2013 11:28 PM

He,

Server had all SEP default components installed:

- anitivirus

- proactive threat  protection

- network threat protection

Regards,

• 8.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 04, 2013 09:40 AM

Have you tried with only the AV component?

• 9.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 06, 2013 10:42 AM

I will try that next although I was hoping that SEP would offer more than just antivirus for the server. Perhaps SEP is not a good match with SBS environement?

• 10.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 06, 2013 11:27 AM

Problem is support needs to troubleshoot this but with pre-sale it sounds like they're not responsive?

• 11.  RE: BackupExec slow when SEP2013 Small Business installed on server

Posted Nov 06, 2013 12:02 PM

Indeed, the Symantec sales person and I were on the line together trying to get a ticket from support and it proved to be impossible without support number. I will give it one more shot before looking elsewhere.

Thank you for your help!