Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Backup/restore SMS 8360 configuration

Posted Sep 09, 2009 08:25 AM
    Hello to all.

I recently got a second SMS 8360 for the company i work for. The plan is to have one of them as backup, with the configuration set up so if the 1st one fails we could power on the second one and we 'll be ready to go. I did a litle search  on how to Backup/restore the configuration but i couldn't find something helpfull. The closest thing on what i want is this article here service1.symantec.com/support/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2006111508464863 . But using ftp isnt excactly what i was thinking. Maybe an external HDD method is available but i wasnt lucky enough to find it.
    Can someone guide me through the proccess please? What i am looking for is how to back up my configuration of the SMS 8360 so i can import it to the second one i have. I am kind of lost. Thank you

• 2.  RE: Backup/restore SMS 8360 configuration

Posted Sep 09, 2009 05:27 PM
    Have you read the documentation on backup and restore functionality posted in the Brightmail Gateway Administrator's Guide?  The contents of the Admin Guide are linked into the product interface, or you can pull up the complete guide as a PDF.  You can always download the current Admin Guide from the product support page: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=53991

The two options for backups is either local to the appliance or remote using FTP.  You can than follow the "restore" steps outlined in the Admin Guide to recover off the remote background.

• 3.  RE: Backup/restore SMS 8360 configuration

Posted Sep 10, 2009 03:37 AM
    You can also just grab the backup configuration using SSH and/or WinSCP etc.

cheers

Z

• 4.  RE: Backup/restore SMS 8360 configuration

Posted Sep 14, 2009 03:39 AM
    thank you for your answers. To be honest i am new to SMS and i was terified about how the back up/restore proccess would have been. I have successfully backed up and restored my configuration to my second SMS. :D
    It was peace of cake(after all). Thanks again

• 5.  RE: Backup/restore SMS 8360 configuration

Posted Sep 14, 2009 05:10 PM
    Note: the Symantec backup process backs up EVERYTHING including the hardware configuration.  If you restore the prod box to the backup box it will need to be on the same network segment.  

I need to know more about your Disaster Recovery plan to give you more advice, but you miight want to run both boxes, one as Control Center/Scanner and the 2nd as Scanner only.  If you loose the CC/Scanner combo, the standalone scanner can run for 72 hours before you start losing data - logs, quarantine, compliance incidents.  Mail flow will continue.

You should still backup your CC to another location.