Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE 11d Exchange 2003

Created: 31 Jan 2008 • Updated: 22 May 2010 | 17 comments
HR's picture
Problem
When restoring a Exchange 2003 backup made by a remote agent we are unable to restore single messages or folders. Only a full database restore is possible.

Is there a known hotfix for this problem?

Backup
Exchange 2003 SP2
Remote Agent
Tape(MSL Libary)
Full Backup + logflush
Bricklevel option selected

Versions
Media server : Version 11.0 Rev 7170
Admin Console Version 11.0 Rev 7170

Remote agent: : 11.0.7170.32

Installed updates :
ServicePack 2
Hotfix 32
Hotfix 33

Pushing the agent again(or updating it) doesn't have any effect.

Message Edited by HR on 01-31-2008 02:44 AM

Comments 17 CommentsJump to latest comment

Dams's picture
Hi

Did you check that yout backup or restore account is integral administrator on your exchange organisation
Paulo's picture
I too am having the same issue. There is a hotfix for this which is detailed on:

Hotfix 34. I have installed the hotfix, but it has not resolved the problem for me. I have posted about this, but no one has replied. My remote agent is the same version as yours.
HR's picture
Hotfix 34 has been installed.
Is it required to re-install the Remote Agent on the Exchange server?

Message Edited by HR on 02-01-2008 04:42 AM

Paulo's picture
Yes you need to update the agent on the exchange server. I have done this, but I am still having the same issue. I am having diffculty updating the agent on the Backup Exec media server, it is still on the older version. Have you managed to update the agent on the server?

thanks
Paul.
HR's picture
Agent on the Exchange Server remains the same version after an install. Run a backup but problem remains..Anyone with a working solution?
HR's picture
Anyone with a working solution / possible solution.
ChristianF's picture
Same Problem here...

Symantec Support works on case now over 1 Month and doesnt get it working.....
Paulo's picture
This is really frustrating, there seems to be alot of people reporting the same problem since installing SP2, but Symantec seem to be fairly consistently ignoring us. Perhaps someone from Symantec could comment on this thread and why SP2 has broken my GRT backup to disk?

Paul.
HR's picture
Is there any Symantec representative that would like the comment on this case? There seem to be a lot of issues regarding "brick-level" restores.
If this case is under investigation or currently in progress please inform me of this. It now seems like i'm being ignored which does not make me feel comfortable about Symantec's support or services.
jpulley's picture
I'm guessing i have the same problem as yall do. I dont have problems backing up my exchange store or browsing the mailboxes within it from BackupExec. My problem is when i try to restore messages or tasks for a single mailbox. It "extracts" the entire store to a temp location fine and as soon as it starts trying to talk or wirte to Exchange it fails with an error:

Code:
Job ended: Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 2:29:11 PMCompleted status: FailedFinal error: 0xe00084f9 - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.Final error category: Resource ErrorsFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34041

I havent checked out the hot fix mentioned but it sounds like it doesnt fix it any way. Any ideas?

Dano Oliveira's picture

HR,

I was wondering if you are still experiencing this issue or if you called support to get some help.

Question, if you are still experiencing this issue, could tell me if you can see or restore anything from a Mailbox, folder, or message level from your information store?

Thanks,
Dano

Paulo's picture
Hi Dano,

Can you help with the issue detailed in the article : http://support.veritas.com/docs/295487

Since installing SP2 I now cannot browse my GRT backups to disk and get the 'Catalog driver warning'

Regards
Paul.
HR's picture
Dano,

Yes we are still experiencing this issue, and no we have not opened a support case. And no we cannot browse the single mailboxes in the restore job setup window.(Simply not displayed...).

Regards,

Justin
Paulo's picture
I have logged a call with Dell under my enterprise agreement and they have escalated to Symantec.
HR's picture
Dano,

I was wondering if you are still experiencing this issue or if you called support to get some help.
Like i told you before, yes we still have this issue. No we have not contacted support.

Question, if you are still experiencing this issue, could tell me if you can see or restore anything from a Mailbox, folder, or message level from your information store?
Like i stated in the original description of the issue, NO we can not see any folders messages or mailboxes just the information store.

Regards,

Justin de Keizer
HR's picture
Still no resolution what so ever....!

Symantec support isn't that supporting i guess..
Paulo's picture
We had a call logged with Dell & Symantec on this issue and got no where really during the 2 months of trying. We have now upgraded to v12 and it has fixed the problem. I know this is not going to suit a lot of you guys as a resolution. I am currently awaiting a heavily discounted price for the upgrade to v12 from Symantec.

paulo.