Video Screencast Help

BE 12.5 Goes Straight To Queued

Created: 22 Aug 2012 • Updated: 22 Aug 2012 | 27 comments

I have a job scheduled to run at a certain time everyday. Somedays it runs perfectly fine and other days it just sits in queued forever. Does anyone know why this is. There are no alerts saying anything is wrong. The big issue is its a daily that runs when I get out of work and is in theory supposed to run all night but it doesnt when it sits in the queued state.

Comments 27 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolZeroCool's picture

Is the job for the local server or remote server?

Where is the job trageted, disk or tape?

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

It is for a remote server and it is a tape job.

AmolZeroCool's picture

Most of the times backup job goes in queued status if there is any issue with the tape drive or with

the media (if tape drive is occupied by another job or if overwritable media is required by backup job)

In above scenarios BE generates alerts but as per your original post there are no alerts so the 

other reason for the queued status can be the status of the  vss writers on the remote server.

When the backup job goes in queued status check the vss writers status on the remote server.

In the command prompt  type vssadmin list writers and check the status of all the listed writers.

All the writers should be stable without error message.

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

I made sure that every tape was overwritable and there were no other jobs running. Am I supposed to run vssadmin list writers only when the job is queued?

AmolZeroCool's picture

Yes run vssadmin list writers command only when the backup is in queued status.

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

Ok. Now the backup runs on different remote servers so how do I know which server to run that on?

AmolZeroCool's picture

Double click on the job when it goes in queued status and check which server is being scanned.

Job log will show the server name & folder or file name which is being backed up.

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

Ok great thanks. Now what is this command going to tell me and what do I do if there are errors?

AmolZeroCool's picture

Command will show you if the VSS writers are stable or unstable or there are any errors.

Usually VSS writers become stable after reboot but if still the writers show errors than you need to 

install VSS patches from MS (reboot required).

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

This backup has run successfully before, can the vss writers become unstable randomly?

AmolZeroCool's picture

Yes during backups.

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

Ok. thanks for the info. I will check this out if it happens again.

AmolZeroCool's picture

As of now don't mark the post as solved, post back results after investigation.

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

Ok. I will post back tomorrow morning after the backup is scheduled to run.

ZGoggins's picture

Well now the job stays in snapshot processing

AmolZeroCool's picture

Double click on the job and check the server which is being processed and than check writers

status on that server.

Refer to URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160468

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

so i clicked on the job and dont see where it says what server is being processed. Is that under job history or job activity?

AmolZeroCool's picture

Should be under job activity

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

There is nothing under there. The server name and device name are both blank

ZGoggins's picture

Ok so both the VSS shadow copy service and MS shadow copy service are set to manual and are not running, AOFO is not checked, nothing in the event logs, Ran vssadmin list providers and vssadmin list writers and all were stable. Now how do I Enable VSS debug trace?

AmolZeroCool's picture

Before debugging further try few basic steps.

1) Disable AV on the remote server

2) Try creating a new selection list or a new backup job.

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

The job wouldnt cancel so I tried restarting the backup exec server services and that didnt work either, it kept giving me error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. So i am rebooting this damn thing

ZGoggins's picture

I have two jobs that run everynight on the same robotic library. The one job is the one that has been queued and snapshot processing the last two nights but when I am able to run the other job it runs fine. Does this make sense?

ZGoggins's picture

Here is something I found in the job log of the job that stayed queued all night.......MSMV-APP01 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "MSMV-APP01\DESKTOPAUTHORITY". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11242 - VSS Snapshot error. Out of disk space, or could not find an NTFS volume while creating the snapshot. Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) requires an NTFS volume with at least 100 MB of free space for each volume that will be snapped.
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .

Here is what the same job looks like when it worked the day before.......AOFO: Started for resource: "MSMV-APP01\DESKTOPAUTHORITY". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

For the job last night that stayed in snapshot processing there is nothing in the job log......I checked the disk space of that MSMV-APP01 server and it is NTFS and had 360mb of free space.

AmolZeroCool's picture

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130424

Amol

MCITP | STS | SCP 

The thing I dont understand is when i run vssadmin list writers they are all stable

ZGoggins's picture

So I went into the job and deselcted Microsoft SQL Server "DESKTOPAUTHORITY" from the backup (which is on the MSMV-APP01 server) and now it seems to be working ok. Has anyone seen that before or have any idea as to what it does and why it started these issues?