Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

BE 12.5 install options and license keys does nothing

Created: 08 Jul 2013 • Updated: 12 Jul 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I'm trying to add the IDR option to a Windows 2003 R2 x64 install of BE12.5 sp4 but when I select that option from the Tools menu a small window brielfy appears and disappears and then nothing else happens. The Change option from add/remove programs also does nothing. Is there a way to run it directly from the program folder or another fix?

Thanks

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi Dominic,

I'd personally start with a repair of the BEDB. Open up BEutility.exe and right-click your server name before choosing the option to repair the BEDB. Once done, try running the wizard again from the Tools menu.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Dominic Moore's picture

Hi,

I tried that, but no change. I also downloaded a fresh copy of the install and that would not run (nothing happened when running the installer from the CD browse menu).

Thanks

lmosla's picture

If you have any antivirus runing on the machine stop it and then try again.

also check for errors in the BKUPINST.HTM located in

Windows Server 2003 and prior  :   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\ 

Windows Server 2008  :   C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\

Dominic Moore's picture

Solved. A number of Windows installer files (randomly named MSI/MSP) had been archived from C:Windows\Installer (hidden system folder) to make more space on the system drive. Copying them back allowed the options installer to run successfully.

SOLUTION