Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE 12.5 is not starting

Created: 06 Aug 2010 | 6 comments

Hello,

I have Backup Exec 12.5 hosted on a Windows 2003 server. The services are not starting. When I got to services and try starting Backup Exec Job engine, the error I get is "Could not start the Backup Exec Job Engine service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

Could anyone please give me suggestions on how to start the services?

Thanks
Ravi

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

JoaoMatos's picture

Hi there,
If you start the servicers manualy, they start?
What eslse your media server do?
Are backup exec updated?

Long time ago, I had a problem like yours. I just solve it adding more memory.
I can try to delay a while the start of BE servces.

Regards,
JoaoMatos

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

ravishankarappa's picture

For some other reason I had to shutdown this server and upon restarting the server, BE services are not running.

I think I have narrowed the problem down. The "Backup Exec Device & Media Service" is not starting due to "logon failure".
Long time ago Symantec tech support had helped me online and setup a different login account for running BE stuff and not run them through System Admin account.  I reset the password for that account and tried to restart all services and what I get is as follows:

Processing services

Start services on server: OPHELIA
Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on OPHELIA.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers has been started on OPHELIA.
Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on OPHELIA.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on OPHELIA.
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Starting Backup Exec Server on OPHELIA.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on OPHELIA.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on OPHELIA.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on OPHELIA.

Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on OPHELIA.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Agent Browser on OPHELIA.

Start services on server OPHELIA completed.

Processing services completed!

What should I be trying now?

Regards
Ravi

AmolB's picture

I guess the logon account is locked out in AD. You need to follow the below sequence while starting the services manually.

1) SQL server BKUPEXEC
2) BE Device & Media
3) BE Server service
4) BE Job Engine
5) BE Remote Agent.

JoaoMatos's picture

I am not sure, If i am understanding your issue. But... on services, on all BE services that use the account you change the password, you have to retype the new password on each account.

I am not sure if this is your issue.
Regards

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Sush...'s picture

Instead you can try to open the Backup Exec console. A logon window willopen with Services button in Red. Click on the Services button and then click on "Services Credentials" .

Now another Window will open where you can check box on the option to change Services account.
Then put your username , Password and the Domain name (can select from drop down).

Click OK on the following two windows and now RESTART all Backup Exec services.